Chapter 1: Beginnings

High school award ceremonies never felt like a big deal to Ayumi Matsumoto, yet there she was waiting on the sidelines as the emcee announced her achievements.

"... Best in Mathematics, and 1st Place in Academics, Miss Ayumi Matsumoto!" the emcee proclaimed. Ayumi climbed up the stage and walked to the center, where the school director and the principal were waiting with numerous medals in hand.

Her principal looked her in the eye and congratulated her for her stellar academic performance. She then looked behind the black-haired girl, and immediately noticed an absence. "Where are your parents?"

Ayumi looked at the adult and smiled faintly. "They're too busy to come. I expected as much, anyway."

That was not a rare occurrence for Ayumi. Her ancestors, having moved from Japan to Taiwan to start a new life, founded a tech firm that grew to become one of the biggest conglomerates in Asia. The Matsumoto Corporation, specializing in manufacturing telecommunications equipment and cybersecurity, now services more than 30 countries across the globe. As the chairman, Ayumi Matsumoto's father has hardly been around for much of her childhood. The self-proclaimed workaholic spent most of those years overseeing the firm, hardly spending any time at home. Her mother, on the other hand, preferred to venture to the finance industry. Investing in Taiwan's Cathay United Bank when it was still growing, she owned 30% of the company's shares and is an active member of the board. She spends her time travelling around the world securing partnerships with other international banks while simultaneously attending charity events as a renowned socialite.

What was Ayumi Matsumoto doing, then? Simple—upholding the family legacy. She had to. She was the sole successor, after all.

The medals were finally worn on her neck, and she turned to the audience as they gave a round of applause. Her classmates and their parents looked at her in awe. That is what she was to these people: a prodigy. A role model. A standard for children of her age.

It was hard to blame them, though. Ayumi has always presented herself as a cheerful yet elegant young lady who seemed to be talented in just about anything. She always emerged at the top of the class and had a talent in playing the piano and the violin. Not only that, she has also been recognized as the country's rising star in figure skating. Starting from the tender age of seven, she persistently learned the sport and is now defending her title as the female Junior Grand Prix champion, training under the renowned Russian coach Yakov Feltsman. This marked the beginning of a new hope for Taiwan's ice skating reputation, as the country was never known for being the home of top figure skaters.

The ceremony has officially ended. After the gruelling photo sessions and all the formalities, Ayumi stepped out of the hall and proceeded to the main entrance where her most trusted butler, Kamoshita, was waiting.

She removed the medals from her neck and handed it to the man. He smiled. "Did the ceremony turn out well, Miss Ayumi?"

She hesitated for a second, then smiled back. "As well as can be expected." She then looked towards the black Mercedes GL450 on the school's driveway. "Shall we go then?"

"Of course, Miss Ayumi. I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss your flight," Kamoshita replied, and turned to open the passenger door for her. She slid in, and soon they were on the way to the airport.

The car was silent as it sped though the city, heading to the highway. They wouldn't be at the airport for a half-hour. The driver held an emotionless expression, and Ayumi knew better than to engage him in conversation while he was driving at more than 100 km/hr. She turned to Kamoshita, who was sitting at the front seat. "You know," she said, "it would've been perfectly fine if you stood for my parents at the ceremony today."

Kamoshita looked solemnly at her through the rear-view mirror. "It would have seemed inappropriate in front of all the parents, miss. I'm sure they would find it appalling for your servant to place the medals around your neck." This statement made Ayumi frown. "You know you're more than that to me, Kamoshita."

The 50-year-old man smiled. He has been with the 13-year-old heiress for as long as he can remember. Being assigned to protect her as soon as she turned 4, he has followed her every move. He's been a constant presence in Ayumi's life and has become a father figure for the girl. He can't deny that he's grown to love her like a daughter as well.

"I know that Yumi," Kamoshita said, calling her by her nickname. "I'm definitely proud of you." He smiled again, and his tone then changed to one of concern. "But miss, are you sure you want to fly out this soon after the ceremony? I'm sure there's no need to rush, and you need a bit of rest before— "

"I'm fine. Don't worry," said Ayumi, now looking calmly out the window. "I've already missed months of full-time training. If I waste any more time, I doubt I'd be ready for the upcoming skating season."

Kamoshita was concerned, yet nodded in response. The drive was silent once again.

That has been Ayumi's life for the past few years. She spent most of her childhood immersed in "extra-curriculars", often having no free time to enjoy being a child. After school, she is immediately whisked off to Taipei Arena Ice Land, where she practiced with her Taiwanese coach till 9pm. She spent the rest of the night finishing school requirements before eventually passing out past midnight, doing it all again the next day. Her weekends are spent honing her piano and violin skills, going to the gym, as well as training in her family's company. Her summers are spent in Russia for figure skating training, all while studying the ins and outs of the family business. This was a necessity, her parents said. A Matsumoto must excel in everything she does.

Many people think she's a natural in learning various skills, but her abilities are really a product of dedication and mostly sleepless nights. Ayumi was always on the move, almost never stopping to catch a breath.

Ayumi sighed. It has been a tiring day. But as the driver turned and the lights of Taoyuan International Airport came into view, she's reminded that there was no time for a break. The work has only just begun.