Chapter 21: Found

"You look like you're doing great, Viktor!!!"

The two standing on the ice looked towards the source of the scream and found a fuming Yuri Plisetsky standing at the sidelines.

"Yuri, you're here?" Viktor asked. "I'm surprised Yakov let you come!" He then turned to look at Ayumi to see what her reaction was.

She was just standing there, mouth open in shock. Yuri glanced at her once, eyes glaring in anger, before turning his attention back to Viktor.

"What do you want? Judging from that look, I'm guessing I forgot some promise I made."

Yuri then reminded him of their deal. He wanted the silver-haired man to stop the nonsense and go back to Russia with him, but it seems like Viktor has hesitations of his own. Until he decided...

"Tomorrow, I'll choreograph a program for both of you to the same music I'm using in my short program."

The two Yuris were outraged. "What?! With the same choreography?!" "Huh?! The same music as him?!"

Viktor was quick to correct them. "No, this piece has several different arrangements. I was trying to decide which one to use. I'll think of a different program for each of you, of course."

It didn't take long until a competition was arranged for the two skaters to determine whether Viktor stays or leaves. The triplets who were eavesdropping on the conversation volunteered to organize the event, which will apparently be called Hot Springs on Ice.

While all of this was happening, no one noticed Ayumi slowly slip away and exit the rink until Yuuri pointed it out. "Oh hey, wasn't Ayumi here just a second ago?"

"Wait, how do you know her?" Viktor said, obviously still unaware of how the girl even ended up in Hasetsu in the first place.

Yuri, on the other hand, simply looked around once and turned to Viktor with a displeased look. "Tsk. Forget it. Who even cares about that stupid girl anymore?"

Viktor was stunned. It looks like Yuri was not happy to see Ayumi again.

------

Viktor and Yuuri talked about the teenage girl while Yuri took a bath in the hot springs. The Russian needed to understand how the two knew each other. Yuuri explained everything from the time he met the girl upon his return to Hasetsu. After Yuri's bath, the three male skaters entered a room where a small table with food was laid out for them.

Ayumi was sitting on the windowsill at the far end of the room. She was wearing one of the inn's female robes: a black one with cherry blossoms scattered throughout the fabric. Her hair was a messy bun held together by chopsticks. She had earphones on while reading a book. From the looks of it, she did not hear them as they came in.

Yuri looked at her fondly for a few seconds. She looked much more serene now than she was a few months before. He wanted, more than anything, to talk to her and hold her hand again. But he stopped himself before he did.

No, Yuri. She fucking left you. She doesn't deserve your attention anymore.

Viktor can sense the awkward tension in the air and tried to divert the focus on the pork cutlet bowl Yuri was yet to try out.

"This is great!" the boy said as he devoured the dish, all thoughts of Ayumi shoved aside.

Viktor smiled in agreement. "The pork cutlet bowl is good, isn't it?"

Yuuri's mother, Hiroko, smiled at the boys who were enjoying their food, then walked towards the young girl. She tapped her shoulders and set down a bowl of broccoli and bean sprouts in front of the teenager. "Ayumi, here. Go on and eat, dear."

Ayumi smiled at the woman, but turned to continue reading in silence.

Mari, Yuuri's sister, came into the room. "You have another visitor, Yuuri?" The Russian Yuri looked at her confused. "Huh?!"

The woman freaked out at the sight of the blonde. He looked like one of her idols, a member of a Japanese boy band. When it was explained to her that the blond teenager was also named Yuri, she turned to him and pointed.

"What? That's confusing. Okay, you're Yurio!"

The blond Russian, now nicknamed 'Yurio', screamed in frustration. "What?!"

Mari ignored the boy's protest and proceeded to clean the storage room he was going to sleep in. Yuuri followed her out.

"Good for you, Yurio!" Viktor laughed at his rink mate. The boy only looked at him in anger. "Shut up! That's not my name!"

The laughter died out as quickly as it started, however. Viktor's gaze turned towards the girl sitting by the window undisturbed by the loud conversation.

Ayumi's brows furrowed in full concentration on the book she held in her hands. Viktor saw that it was an English paperback with a picture of a grey tie on the cover. Seems boring, he thought, but the way Ayumi read it like it was some sort of textbook intrigued him.

Yuri, who saw where Viktor's eyes were focused on, also looked at the girl incredulously. It seems like she was intent on ignoring them, her attention not wavering from that damn book. How dare she, he thought. She was the one who left, dammit. She did not have the right to ignore us. If anything, we were the ones supposed to be ignoring HER. The boy's eyes looked at the pork cutlet bowl in his hands, an irritated look marring his face.

Suddenly Ayumi shot up, leaving the book on the windowsill. She walked determinedly out the door with earphones still plugged into her ears, not even sparing a glance at the Russians. Her bowl of vegetables remained untouched.

Yuri was about to scream in anger. Who the hell does she think she is, ignoring me like that? Viktor held his shoulders tightly before he could even get a word out.

"No, Yurio. I don't think you'd want to add more fuel to that fire."

The boy glared at Viktor, who returned the look. He then sighed in defeat and continued eating his pork cutlet bowl.