EXTRA: Meeting Grandpa Plisetsky

@a.matsumoto Lights will guide you home. #Россия

No matter how many times Ayumi's been to Russia, she could never get used to the extreme temperatures. Posting a photo while on the jet bridge, she zipped up her jacket as soon as she felt the cold April air rush past her body.

She wasn't usually travelling at that time of the year. In the spring months, she was typically at home busy with work and studies. But Children's Day was a national holiday in Taiwan, and the long weekend gave her free time to get away for a while.

A hand laced with hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. "You alright?" Yuri asked.

She looked up from her phone and smiled. "Yeah. You excited?"

"I am, really. Thank you for this, Ayu."

Ayumi could feel the happiness emanating from her boyfriend. They've spent the past 3 months apart, save for when they competed in the Worlds at Shanghai. Although they constantly called and messaged each other online, her intense workload meant she couldn't see him in person. She wasn't even able to spend his 16th birthday with him.

That was why they found themselves walking out of the arrivals area at Sheremetyevo Airport. Yuri's always told her how much he missed his home, so she thought that would be the perfect birthday gift. She got Yakov to give him the time off and surprised him by showing up at Saint Petersburg with round-trip tickets to Moscow.

Yuri led her to a green car that looked like it's been around for many years. An old man wearing a beret stepped out of the driver's seat, and Yuri immediately took him in for a bear hug.

"Grandpa!" he shouted, his voice cheerful. "I'm so glad to see you!"

"I'm glad to see you too, Yuratchka."

Ayumi's heart swelled at the reunion taking place in front of her. It made her long to see her own parents, both of whom she hasn't heard much from. She didn't even know what country they were currently at. Maybe I can try calling them again later...

The two broke off from their hug, and Yuri turned towards her. He held her hand and brought her closer to the old man.

"Ayu, this is my grandfather Nikolai. Grandpa, this is Ayumi Matsumoto... my girlfriend."

She bowed in front of Nikolai. "It's such an honor to meet you, Mr. Plisetsky." Suddenly she felt very insecure. What would Yuri's grandfather think of me?

A few seconds of silence ensued. Ayumi could feel his eyes on her. She gulped, expecting harsh words come out of his mouth. She was shocked when she heard him laugh heartily.

"It's nice to meet you too, Ayumi! Please, just call me grandpa. You're dating my grandson after all!" Nikolai said, putting a parental hand on her shoulder. "I've always wanted to meet you in person. You have no idea how long Yuratchka's secretly liked—"

"Okay, grandpa! I think that's enough!" Yuri interrupted, his face red as a tomato.

Nikolai chuckled. "You don't need to be embarrassed, you know? She's a very pretty girl, no one could blame you for liking her. Now come on you two, let's go before the traffic builds up."

Ayumi sat at the back and waited for Yuri, who brought their bags to the trunk with his face still red. He sat beside her as they headed to his old house, where she will be staying for the duration of the trip.

She blushed when Yuri instinctively wrapped an arm around her waist. She knew he was fond of physical contact (even though he would never admit it out loud), but it felt extremely awkward knowing his grandfather was right there.