Chapter 20: Encounter (Ayumi's POV)

On a morning in early March, Ayumi Matsumoto was outside Fukuoka Airport in Japan, eyes calm and relaxed as she approached the car that will take her to Hasetsu.

The day she left after winning bronze at the Junior World Championships was something that never left her mind. She remembered how Kamoshita respectfully followed through on her questionable decision, packing their bags in a hurry and booking her a solo flight. He made every possible effort to avoid the attention of the media, going so far as to book a rental car and secure a wig for her as they made their way out the hotel and on to Minsk National Airport in Belarus.

She decided to head to the Philippines to take some time off. Ayumi knew she was not well-known in the country and that, just like in Taiwan, figure skating was not a popular sport. She remembered one of her housekeepers telling her about the numerous retreat centers there, where one can reflect in peace while taking in the natural beauty of the wilderness. That was exactly what she did for the past two months: hiding from the rest of the world and trying to come to terms with Miwako's death.

How she ended up going to Hasetsu was a little hazy. It was a small city she and Miwako often went to when they were kids. Back when she had to study ballet as a supplement to her newfound interest in figure skating, they both came to be trained under Minako Okukawa, who was once an international ballet dancer good enough to receive a Benois de la Danse.

The hour and a half drive to Hasetsu was over, and Ayumi found herself at the foot of Minako's Ballet Studio. She knocked on the door and was welcomed by a tight hug.

"Ayumi!" Minako said as she held her former student. "I... I don't really know what to say to you right now. Little Miwako was always..." A small pause. "Anyway, it's been so long."

"It has, sensei." Ayumi said as she let go of her ballet teacher. "I am so sorry for coming here on such short notice, I didn't really know who else to turn to."

"Yeah. You said something about learning how to dance more seductively? I don't understand. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that you're only turning fifteen, and that—"

"I know, sensei. I just need to do this. I need to learn how to perform those kinds of moves. It's a... it's a mission of mine, I guess."

The ballet dancer looked at her in confusion. "Does this mean you're planning to go back on the ice?"

Ayumi could only look away. "Honestly...I don't know, sensei."

------

Minako led Ayumi to Yu-topia Katsuki, where she recommended the girl stay while she was in Hasetsu. The owners were very accommodating towards her as she settled in. Ayumi had to admit that the hot springs in the resort was amazing, and it helped ease her mind even for a little bit.

A couple of days after, she was at the resort's dining area watching the World Championships on a small TV. Viktor was on screen, walking into Yoyogi National Gymnasium while being welcomed by fans.

"Yuuri-kun isn't in the World Championships?" a man in front of her suddenly asked. That made Ayumi almost choke on the water she was drinking.

"He didn't make the cut," the owner replied. "Thanks to that, he can finally come home!" Wait, Yuuri? You can't possibly mean...

"I'm back," a voice said from the door. Ayumi turned around and gasped. Yuuri Katsuki. Yuuri Katsuki lives here. Shit.

------

"Wait, aren't you the Junior Grand Prix champion?" Yuuri Katsuki asked the teenage girl panicking in front of him.

"Yes, and please. You cannot tell anyone I'm here. Please." Ayumi said, cutting straight to the chase. The man was a figure skater, for crying out loud. If he revealed where she was, it was only a matter of time before...