Chapter 12: Leaving

Viktor, Mila, Georgi and Yakov were dumbfounded, to say the least.

In the week that followed Yuri's loss of temper, it appeared like they were seeing yet another side of him as he attended his practices. While he was still the arrogant 14-year-old they knew, the enthusiasm he entered the rink with was too obvious to ignore.

That was strange, as Yuri always complained about practice. However, one look at where his eyes were directed to made it easy to see why.

It became apparent that Ayumi and Yuri reached a deeper level of understanding the night she combed Saint Petersburg looking for him. It seemed impossible for the girl to find the blond amidst the vast city, but when they got the text from her saying that she found him and that he was safe made them sigh in relief. Ayumi has always been good at finding a way around any situation.

For the past few days, they noticed how Yuri stared at the young black-haired girl whenever she entered the rink. He would always look at her with fondness, as if she was some sort of angel. The girl was oblivious to this and always greeted him with a friendly smile. During breaks, Yuri immediately headed to wherever she was, and they would eat lunch together while falling into the same routine of listening to music on a pair of earphones. He gave her his undivided attention whenever they were together, and his face showed smiles that were reserved only for her.

At that point, they understood what was going on. Their rink mate, Yuri Plisetsky, was in love with the heiress Ayumi Matsumoto.

------

Ayumi held her knees after finishing her routine, gasping for air. She has finally mastered both her short program and her free skate, and the past few practices have been spent tuning it to Yakov's approval. She has always been a perfectionist, and often took care of every single detail in all her programs. The said coach gave her a sign that indicated his satisfaction with her performance. She quickly bowed to him and went off the ice to get a drink.

She headed to the bench where her skating bag was resting, and sitting beside it was Yuri who was checking something out on his phone.

"Hey Yura," she said, patting his shoulder as she took a sip from her water bottle. "What are you up to?"

Yuri looked at her with a hint of sadness in his face, which he tried to mask. "I was just looking for a nice place to go to tomorrow."

The two of them have bonded even more after their reconciliation at that small park, the day they let their guard down and opened up to each other. They have been constantly spending time together since then, either going out on a short walk in one of Saint Petersburg's busy streets or trying various Asian food and watching movies at her house. Ayumi even introduced Yuri to her eight other friends, who were currently in various locations in the globe. They were glad to welcome Ayumi's newfound friend into their circle despite the difference in background and promised to stop by the city whenever they had the time.

Ayumi's birthday celebration also came and went. Yuri, along with his fellow rink mates, surprised her that morning with a small chocolate cake and party poppers when she entered the rink, and together they went to a small restaurant right after practice to celebrate her turning fourteen. He had a bit of extra money, so he got her a leopard-print phone case. She quickly reminded him that it was really he who was fond of animal prints, but Yuri stubbornly told her to use it. She laughed at this but proceeded to use it anyway.

It has been a wonderful few weeks for Yuri. He was falling deeper in love with Ayumi the more they spent time together, but their time was already running out. It has been close to three months since Ayumi arrived to train for the summer. She needed to get back to Taiwan for the academic term...