Chapter 35: Rage

"Don't eat too many pirozkhis tomorrow, alright?"

"да, да."

The Russian team was walking backstage, ready to leave and rest up for the free skate. Yuri was outraged, especially after the outcome of the short program. He grumbled beside Yakov. But then, something in front of them distracted him from his sulking:

"You know you have to go back!" "I already told you, I can't!"

It was Yuuri and Viktor, arguing about something. What's with them?

Viktor held his head in frustration, but then he noticed Yakov. He immediately went over. "Yakov! That's it, thank God!"

He held the old man's shoulders. "I'm so glad you're here. You are the coach for me!"

"What's this?" Yakov snorted. "Crawling back already?"

Viktor was desperate. "It'll just be for tomorrow. For one day only. Will you be Yuuri's coach?"

Both Yuris and Yakov stared at him with disbelieving eyes. "HAAA?!?!"

"I have to fly back to Japan," he explained. "Makkachin is sick. He swallowed some steamed buns and we don't know if he's going to make it. Please. Please be Yuuri's coach tomorrow."

Yakov opened his mouth to retort, but someone beat him to it. "No."

They all turned and saw Ayumi Matsumoto, walking up to them with a dismal face.

"No, Vitya. Coach Yakov needs to focus on coaching Yura. I'll be Yuuri's coach tomorrow."

Yuri and Yakov were in disbelief. Viktor gasped and looked at her sceptically. "I don't know about that, Yumi. You have no experience with coaching, and—"

"So did you Vitya, remember? Just think about it for a minute. I may not be a coach, but I am a professional skater. And I certainly know Yuuri's skating style and temperament better than Coach Yakov does. I'm sure I'll be a better support for him." She turned to the Japanese skater. "Don't you agree, Yuuri-oniisan?"

He nodded woodenly. As expected, Ayumi's words made a lot of sense. Even Yakov and Viktor agreed with her reasoning. Yuri could only stare at the back of her hair as Viktor sighed. "Are you sure about this?"

"Trust me," she answered, her voice somber. "I don't feel any more comfortable than you are with carrying the burden of another skater. But I have to do this. I need to make sure Yura and Yuuri-oniisan stay in top shape to—"

"See? I told you nothing can beat JJ's style!"

Ayumi turned to the Canadian, her form suddenly stiff. The others were on high alert, finally realizing why the girl was not acting like herself.

"Oh, Yumi! I'm glad I ran into you. Sorry about that little show I put on, but you gotta admit it was entertaining, right? You should have seen the look on little Yuri's face. It was so—"

Slap!

JJ was suddenly thrown back by the force of her hand. His right cheek was burning red.

"You..." Ayumi croaked. "I treated you as a friend, JJ. I've done or said anything to hurt you, have I?" She was trembling. "Why? Why did you do that? Do you have any idea how much you humiliated me?"

JJ looked at her, suddenly feeling immense guilt. "It wasn't my intention to..."

Viktor had to step in and flank her as she looked at JJ with tears brimming in her eyes.

"I have no idea who you are anymore," she whispered brokenly. "And honestly, I really hope you lose tomorrow... because I don't know if I can handle breathing the same air as you in the final."

She turned away from JJ and headed towards the hallway leading out of the stadium. Her coach, worried, took hold of her wrist. "Ayumi."

"Please let go of me, Coach Yakov."

He was speechless as she turned to face them. Her face was a mixture of sadness and betrayal. "Can all of you please leave me be tonight? I need to be alone."

Yakov and Lilia looked at each other with wide eyes, but they chose to understand the girl's need for space. They nodded.

Yuri was horrified at the hurt tone of her voice. It was like she was upset with everyone, not just JJ. "Ayu..."

She walked further, only to run into Kamoshita as he entered. "Miss Ayumi. I've checked the condition of Mister Nikolai Plisetsky. He is currently—"

"Just report to Yuratchka," Ayumi whispered. "And stay out of my way tonight. Please."

There was nothing any of them can do as she left the arena in silence.

Yuri was enraged. The kiss he saw at the rink wasn't what he thought it was. JJ forcibly kissed her. She did not want it. He couldn't believe he felt mad at her too. But now...

He roughly grabbed JJ by the collar of his jacket. "You will pay for what you did to Ayumi... YOU ARROGANT BASTARD!!!"

He charged at him. The whole thing was becoming way too heated. His coaches, Viktor and Yuuri had to hold him back before he does anything that might get him disqualified.

"Let go of me!!!" He screamed, then growled at JJ. "How dare you touch her!?! You cunt!!! You had absolutely no right to mess with the girl I love!!!"

Everyone in the room gasped. That was the first time they've ever heard Yuri say that out loud.

"Let go!!!" He broke free from Yakov's grip and stood, narrowing his eyes at JJ. The Canadian was livid.

"Mark my words, I WILL destroy you tomorrow. And I will make sure you get what you deserve."