Chapter 37: Worry

The two skaters got back to the hotel after their walk. The whole heart-to-heart conversation about Ayumi made them feel awkward, and it did not take long before they got back to ignoring each other. Yuuri bid the Russian a tentative farewell as he went up to his room.

Yuri reached his own floor and was heading to his own room when he passed by Ayumi's. He started to debate on whether he should go back to his room or go and talk to her.

He decided to go for the latter.

The boy knocked on the door, and Kamoshita welcomed him in like he usually did. He entered a suite bigger than his own and saw Ayumi sitting on a club chair, looking out the window with a cup of tea in her hands.

"Ayu," Yuri greeted as he walked towards her. She turned to give him a sad smile. "Hi, Yura."

He took a chair and sat next to her. "How are you feeling? Are you still mad?"

"I'm doing alright. I'm still upset, of course. But I don't wanna think about what happened anymore."

Yuri nodded in understanding. Kamoshita came up and placed a cup of tea in front of him. He thanked the butler and took a sip of the drink.

"Yura, I'm really sorry."

The boy turned to look at Ayumi, startled. "What?! What are you sorry for?"

"The short program. It was my fault you messed up, wasn't it? The thing with JJ... it distracted you. I'm really, really sorry," she sighed, her eyes on her teacup.

"Don't apologize you idiot," he retorted. "It wasn't your fault. It was that stupid asshole's."

"Still. I'm sorry."

Yuri snorted as he looked out the window. "You know, you have an annoying tendency to blame yourself for everything. Stop it. It's frustrating."

Ayumi let out a weak chuckle. "I guess you're right about that. It comes with being me, I guess."

Their conversation was interrupted when Ayumi's phone rang on top of the coffee table between them. The girl answered the phone on speaker, having no patience to press it to her ears. It was just Nathan, anyway.

"Miss Ayumi," her father's emissary stated. "Your father has insisted that you fly to Barcelona early before your competition. The upcoming partnership with Telefonica requires you to attend contract discussions and perform an on-site visit of the headquarters at Catalonia. He wants you to fly out tomorrow."

"That's a rather sudden request," the girl replied. Yuri was a little shocked to see her in business mode, so emotionless. "Will the discussions with Telefonica cause conflict with my Grand Prix Final schedules? I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the finals are in 2 weeks."

"I've made sure that it won't, miss. You will have to miss the official practices due to the contract signing, but once the events start you are free to participate without interference."

Yuri whipped his head to stare at her with wide eyes. Missing the practices was suicidal—there's only so much time given to skaters to get used to the size and feel of the venue before the events begin. Not practicing beforehand is like going to battle without an armor.

Ayumi paid no attention to this and nodded. "Understood. But I need you to arrange ice times for me at any available rink. Just squeeze it in to my schedule, and I don't care what time it will be. I need whatever practice I can get."

The man on the phone agreed to follow through on the request and told her that the flight details have already been sent to her e-mail. The call ended, and Ayumi leaned back on her chair in exasperation.

"Are you crazy?!" Yuri complained. "Why would you agree to that? You're taking a huge gamble not attending the practices at the venue! And really? You'll be working right before the Grand Prix Final? That's stupid! You'll overexert yourself, again!"

"Relax Yura," the girl tried to reassure him. "I need to do this: it's my responsibility. I'll be fine. I'll eat, and I'll have Coach Yakov watch my practices on video. It'll be okay. I got this."

"But Ayu!!!"

The girl hummed as she took another sip of tea, ignoring Yuri's protests.

What is she doing?! Yuri thought. Why does she have to push herself like this?

He suddenly remembered the conversation he had with Yuuri that evening.

"You matter to her, and you have to find a way to believe that."

If I matter to her, then why can't she see how much I worry about her? Why is she so freaking blind?!

"Ayumi..."

The girl was already fast asleep.

Yuri winced and slowly got up to get a blanket. He gently wrapped it around her cold body, and he couldn't help but run his fingers through her hair.

Ayumi looked so peaceful in her sleep. She was calm, free from all stress. Yuri's heart skipped a beat. He slowly leaned forward and pressed a light kiss on her forehead.

I love you, and I promise I'll find the courage to tell you soon.

Kamoshita, who was watching from the other end of the room, gave him a small smile.