Chapter 39: Great Day

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Ayumi's alarm rang at exactly 5 a.m., just as it always has. The girl slowly got up from the hotel room's work desk. She walked to the counter to make herself a cup of coffee, feeling her head pounding with every step she took.

It was the first day of the Grand Prix Final, and she was finally free from her busy schedule. She has not gotten much sleep the past week, and it was more so the previous night. The partnership contract was finally signed with a party following to celebrate. She only got back to the hotel past midnight, and she spent the rest of the night reading the e-mails that flooded her inbox. That is, until she passed out.

She opened her phone and saw that she was texted by several people over the past two weeks. But there was one person whose messages she never failed to read:

Yura: Went with the others for dinner tonight. Met Otabek too. Can't wait to see you. (12/07 09:23 p.m.)

Yura: Viktor and the Katsudon are "engaged" by the way. Ugh. (12/07 09:24 p.m.)

The girl smiled despite her headache. She always cherished messages like those. It did not seem like much, but she loved how Yuri always kept her updated about what was happening to him. It made her feel like he was always with her no matter how far away she was.

She took her steaming-hot coffee and looked out the window. The beach was not far from where the hotel was, so she decided to take a short walk and admire the scenery.

Wearing a jacket that was thick despite the weather, Ayumi made her way to Platja de Llevant beach. The light breeze gave her a bit of a chill. When she did get close enough, she noticed Viktor and Yuri standing in front of each other. Viktor was holding Yuri's face tightly, and his eyes were narrow as he stared down at the boy.

"Yura? Vitya?" she called out. Viktor immediately let go of Yuri and turned his attention to her.

"Yumi. You're here," he greeted, but quickly pointed out. "Hey, you look tired. Are you sure you're alright?"

"Uh huh. It's just a little fatigue, that's all. I'll ask for painkillers at the arena later, just to be sure."

She walked closer to them, slightly staggering as she felt another pang on her head. She felt Yuri's arm wrap around her body to support her, his eyes glossing over in concern.

Ayumi gave him a smile to ease his worries and sat on the ledge, looking at the two Russians. "So, what were you two so worked up about just now?"

Yuri scoffed at Viktor as he said, "It's nothing. We were just talking."

Viktor's face told her the boy was lying, but she shrugged it off. She turned to look at the sea. "It's such a great day, isn't it? This place is so beautiful."

"It really is," the grey-haired Russian answered. Ayumi simply smiled.

They all fell into silence as the sun continued to rise. Seeing the view calmed her down—it was warm and welcoming. It reminded her that the worst of her troubles was finally over, and that she could finally focus on the Grand Prix Final. She was so excited, especially for Yuri whose event was scheduled that day.

Ayumi was so happy for her best friend. She knew how hard he worked to make it to the final. She saw how he's grown from an overly-confident Junior champion to the beautiful Senior competitor he was now. He was going to be amazing, and she couldn't be any prouder.

As she relished in the cool morning air, she turned to look at the boy beside her. His eyes were closed and his face was solemn. She knew there was a lot going on in his mind. Ayumi could not help but look at him fondly. Beside her was the person who picked her up when she fell. The person who stayed with her despite her many stupid decisions, and forgave her even though she left him.

Yuri was the person she was most comfortable with. He knew her more than anyone else did. She trusted him without any hesitation. He was the only thing normal in her fast-paced life, and being around him always made things better.

To Ayumi, Yuri was more than just the Ice Tiger of Russia or the Russian Punk. He was her best friend. Her lifesaver. Her anchor.

He was her Yuri. And she would not want it any other way.

Another wave of dizziness hit, and she clutched her head with a groan. Yuri's hold on her tightened. "Oi, we should go! You need medicine, now!"

Ayumi pouted. "Do we really have to?"

"Ayu..."

She conceded and slowly stood up. They both started walking back to the hotel. Suddenly Yuri stopped and turned to Viktor, who was still standing next to the beach.

"This place reminds me of Hasetsu, you know."

Viktor smiled. "I was thinking the same thing."

Ayumi's heart swelled. It really is a great day.