Kabanata 22

KABANATA 22

"Arianne, love, why are you crying?"

"B-because t-they're fighting," the little girl answered as she pointed at the movie scene shown in their wide screen.

"Aww..." The older women grabbed her hanky and wiped the little girl's nose with it.

"Why do... why do they have to f-fight one... a-another?" She stuttered as she was having difficulty to speak with her tears constantly streaming down her face.

"Well," the older woman began as she brushed the little girl's hair with her fingers, "Remember I told you that each one of us is unique in our own way?"

The little girl nodded in response as she wiped off her wet cheeks with the back of her hand.

"We are unique because we were not born the same. We did not grow in the same environment with the same situations and experiences. These three are some of the most important factors for a person's growth because they are what develop the principles we follow as we go along in life. These principles are what mold us into the person that we are in the present," the little girl listened intently as the older woman proceeded with her lecture, "Now, sometimes, people's principles contradict each other. They argue trying to convince the other that his principles are better. And because humans are naturally..."

"Prideful?" The little one asked as she wiped her runny nose.

The older woman cleaned off her nose with her hanky once again before noting, "I'm glad you remember that, you smart little angel," she lovingly said as playfully tapped her little nose.

The little girl, then, smiled at her compliment.

"Do people fight because they are prideful?" The little girl asked for which the older woman slowly nodded her head.

"Arguments begin because a person can't admit to himself that he is wrong. Instead, he will stand his ground that his principles were faultless. The other party does the same and then when words are not convincing, sometimes, they resort to violence," she answered as she stared off in the air.

"But they are brothers," the little girl grumbled, "Why do they have to hurt one another over pride?" Tears were beginning to form on the corner of her eyes once again.

"Yes, my dear, even brothers do fight. For money. For power. For pride," the older woman uttered as she gazed upon her blue orbs. Gone was the gentleness, only coldness from the eyes of a steeled woman, "Even the closest and most bonded ones do..."

The little girl let out a sob at her words. Then, the older woman's eyes softened again at the sight. She tenderly caressed her saddened face.

"That's one ugly truth about life you must never forget."

Kanina pa namin tinatakbo ang mga eskinitang nagmistulang maze sa aking paningin. Walang preno ang mga hakbang na ginagawa nina Reign habang tinatahak namin ang mga kalyeng puno ng mga batang naghahabulan. Halos lumuwa ang mata ko sa estado ng pamumuhay rito.

Magkakadikit ang mga bahay at parang hindi ligtas tirahan dahil gawa ang mga ito sa mga materyales na madaling masunog. Marami kaming nadaanang mga taong nagkukumpolan sa tabi ng daan. Iyong iba ay nag-iinuman habang kumakanta naman ang ilan. Maraming kumaway at tumawag sa grupo namin pero puro tango lang ang isinagot ng leader nito.

Nang makaliko kami sa isang sulok, dinig kaagad namin ang komusyon sa kabilang dulo nito. Bago pa namin maabutan iyon, huminto si Reign at hinarap si Jepoy.