Kabanata 27

KABANATA 27

"Louise?" The little girl called the older woman as she scanned through the pages of their old album.

"Yes, angel?" She replied from the kitchen. She put her spatula down and then wiped her hands with her apron, "Is everything alright?" She asked as she went to the couch where the little girl was seated.

"I was just wondering what kind of person Grandpa is. He seemed like someone who doesn't know how to smile in the pictures," the little girl added as she scanned to more pages.

The older woman chuckled at her observation. She sat beside her and placed her arm around her so she could looked at their old pictures as well.

"Ah, yes, the man with a stick on his butt," she murmured as she travelled through memory lane on every turn of a page.

"A stick on his b-b-bu—" The little girl tried to mimic the older woman.

"Shh... don't let him hear that or he'll get mad at me," she told the her.

But the little girl was confused if the older woman was really worried about getting admonished by the man who's always beside her in every picture. Her face showed no signs of concern but of tenderness and joy.

"He always looks like he is angry at every thing. But once you get to know him, you'd see that he's a real softy inside," she touched one particular picture where they were at a beach and she had a very happy expression beside a very stoic man, "He enjoys listening to soft music. He likes his coffee with a bit of honey. Obviously, he's not quite the talker, but he's a very good listener. He might not show it on his face but he cares for others more than he cares for himself."

"But why won't he show that he cares? Is a smile that difficult to do? You just have to stretch your lips to each side a little..." The girl said as she pushed another page. It showed them a picture of the man posing in front of his horse.

"Hmmm... well then, when he comes home, you tell him that."

The little girl stiffened at the older woman's answer.

"I c-can't do that!" She quickly replied.

"Oh, but why not? Isn't he your Grandpa?"

"B-because..." The little girl paused as she looked at the man's unsmiling picture, "H-he s-scares me," she whispered.

The older woman laughed at the little girl's response.

"Everyone also thought that he's scary. But then look at me, angel, I married that scary man and I'm still fine!" She said as she let out another laugh.

"But your different!" The little girl disentangled herself from the older woman so she could look at her face.

"And how am I different?" The older woman inquired, "Is it because of my hair? The color of my skin? My eyes? The way I speak?"

"No!"

"So how am I different?"

"You're his wife. You're special to him," the little girl said in a soft tone.

"Oh..." The older woman went over to hug the little girl, "Then you are also special to him. You are his grandchild after all!"

"But..."

"Your Grandpa is a very selfless man. He has always thought about what's good for the others, never minding himself. The only time he's ever been selfish was the day he married me," she gave the little girl one final squeeze before releasing her.