Kabanata 26

KABANATA 26

The world was in chaos. Sirens were all over the place. One could hear the screaming and yelling from every corner. You could see nothing but thick smoke invading every space. But despite it all, the little girl felt safe. She felt contented being wrapped in a wet blanket and more importantly, she was in her father's arms. She could care less what the world had turned into, if it had suddenly came to an apocalypse or what... All she knew, she finally had his father with her.

"Just a little more, Arianne, and we'll get you out of here," she heard him say, "Hold on, alright?" She nodded her response as she clung tightly to his neck.

She didn't care even if they didn't make it out alive. She was thinking that maybe then they could finally reunite with her mother. Her father would be very happy and he would smile again. Maybe then she wouldn't be so lonely anymore.

She felt him struggling as he crawled their way down the grand stairs. He was having a hard time breathing because of the smoke. When they had reached the bottom, he quickly proceeded to the supposed direction of the main door. She could hear the sirens louder now and the screaming much clearer.

"Louise?"

"Yes, love, that was your grandmother. In a bit, you'll be seeing her again, okay?" He answered through his huffing.

"Okay," she replied even though she wanted so much to tell him that it's okay even if they didn't see her again and that they should go to where her mother was instead. But she decided to keep those thoughts to herself.

A few meters more, they could be at the entrance of the mansion. She could make out the blinking lights from outside.

"Souchirou, get out from there! The whole building's collapsing!"

Upon hearing those words, her father didn't waste anymore time as he stood up and proceeded to run towards the opening. They were only a couple of feet away when the floor above collapsed around them. Her father was quick to avoid the flaming debris as he raced towards safety.

She could hear the whole place breaking apart like thunder roaring after a great lightning. When she saw the ceiling caving in before them, she knew they would be meeting her mother in a few. She closed her eyes and waited for her end to come when she felt her father's tightening embrace. He whispered something in her ears which made her open her eyes once again. The next thing she felt was the slow release of her father's arms and then she was flying towards the opening.

She dropped to the ground with some cracking sounds and a big thud. She remained unmoving as she laid on her stomach while facing the blazing mansion. She saw how the ceiling crushed the man she called father, how relief filled his blue eyes when he caught sight of her, how the sides of his mouth slightly lifted because of this, how the flame engulfed his body and how everything collapsed in front of her.

Everything was in chaos. The sirens and screaming were deafening now that she was outside. But despite it all, the little girl was at peace. Her father smiled for the first time. Her wish came true after all.

"Lady Aya! Lady Aya!"

Napapitlag ako nang may biglang tumawag sa akin. Nasa kalagitnaan na ng gabi at wala akong maisip na pwedeng nandito gayong mahigpit na ipinagbilin ni Dice sa kanyang mga tauhan na walang papapasukin dito.

Madilim at ang ilaw na galing sa isang maliit na bintanang nasa dulo ng pasilyo ang tanging liwanag ko rito. Maalikabok ang buong lugar at punong-puno ng mga sapot ng gagamba ang bawat sulok. Kinakalawang na rin ang mga rehas ng mga selda dito. Walang mga muwebles na makikita kung hindi ang isang sirang bangketong nakatiwangwang sa gitna ng pasilyo. Walang ibang mahihigaan kung hindi ang marumi rin nitong sahig.