Kabanata 24

KABANATA 24

It was pitch dark and there were sirens all over the place. The disoriented little girl got out of bed and noticed the smoke coming through the slit of her door.

"Louise?" She called as she coughed out the building vapor inside her room, "What's going on?" She went to her door and tried opening it, "Ow!" She cried when she felt the hot metal grazed her skin.

Panic rapidly rose inside of her as she realized what was happening outside. She ran to her window and tried to open it. But with her tiny hands, she could only budge it a little.

"Louise!" She cried, "Louise!" She continued coughing as the smoke thickens around her.

When she finally gave up on the window, she quickly ran to her private bathroom. She locked the door and immediately turn the shower on thinking that the water would protect her from her impending fate.

Seconds later, the smoke found its way inside her chamber. She learned that the shield she made for herself wasn't going to help her in her situation.

"Louise! Louise!" She cried in between her coughs as she tried to splay water in every direction in an attempt to thwart the thickening vapor around her.

She was inhaling too much smoke and felt her lungs were rapidly suffocating.

"Lou...ise..." She continued her coughing but she was on her knees now.

The water had stopped running and she was completely engulfed by the toxic mists. They stung her eyes so she shut them tight. As she did this, she thought of the lullabies Louise had sung to her. She thought of the books they've read together. She thought of the pictures they've drawn together. Then she thought of her Papa.

How would he react if he found her gone? Would he be upset? Would he bring her flowers, too? Would he cry when he looks at her pictures the way he did as he looked at her mother's? Would he be sad as well?

The little girl shook her head.

"Don't be sad, Papa," she said more to herself, "I'm here. Don't be sad."

The little girl was losing her consciousness when a loud thud was heard against her door.

"Arianne!" Said a loud voice behind it, "Arianne!"

"P-papa?"

The loud thud continued until the door finally cracked open.

"Arianne!" A middle-aged man barged in with an ax in his hands.

"P-papa!"

He immediately threw the tool away and went down to scoop his child.

"P-papa, y-you're h-here," the little girl weakly said.

"Yes, I'm here," he assured her as he placed a quick kiss on her forehead, "I'm here now, my love. You're safe now."

"Huwag niyo siyang hahawakan!"

Napaigtad ako sa lakas ng pagsigaw. Medyo naguguluhan pa ako sa nangyayari nang buksan ko ang aking mga mata. Napansin ko lang na nakasandig ako sa isang malamig na haligi habang nakaupo.

Nang aking tingnan ang kabuuan ng paligid, laking-gulat ko nang makita ang isang pamilyar na tao. Pinapaligiran siya ng mga taong nakatakip ang mukha at ilan sa kanila ay may hawak na pamalo. Nakaluhod ang isang tuhod niya sa sahig at humihingal siya at tila pagod na pagod.