Kabanata 38

KABANATA 38

"Princess, I've been looking all over for you!" The teenage boy with black orbs told me as he heaved himself up the roof of the orphanage. "Anong ginagawa mo rito?" He asked as he laid beside me.

As usual, silence was my answer.

"What are we searching for in this beautiful night sky?"

Another silence.

"Are we looking for constellations? Or some UFOs perhaps? That should be exciting, don't you think?"

Again, silence.

"Ah, are we catching some falling stars?"

I froze when he guessed it right. And I bet he felt me react to his last guess since he became more elicited than before.

"So we're catching stars! I'm ready to beat you to it!" He rubbed both of his hands as he prepared to search for the fallen jewels, "I've got loads of wishes for them to fulfill!"

'You think it's easy to even catch one? Baka!' I yelled at him in my head as I blankly stared at his giddy face, 'You're just going to tire yourself out. Suit yourself then.' I said in my mind as I returned my eyes to the glittering heavens.

"Oh, I saw one!" He declared as he sat up straight and quickly put his hands together.

Frantically, I shot up and searched for his fallen star but couldn't find it. 'Was I too late to witness it fall?'

"Falling star, oh falling star, grant me my wish."

Immediately, I turned towards him when I heard the familiar chant. 'How... how did he know?'

"Ibulong mo kay Ana na ako lang ang lalaki para sa kanya at sagutin niya na ako. Sabihin mo rin kay Prof. Davids na huwag niyang gamitin ang plane trigo at advanced calculus para gawing impyerno ang buhay ko. Pakisigaw rin sa tainga ni Yuujin na ako ang mas magandang lalaki sa aming dalawa."

'Aho. Are those even wishes? And besides, to make them come true, you're not supposed to say them out loud. Aho. Baka.'

"Finally," I heard him say.

'He's not done yet? How many more--' I stopped when I saw how serious his face was.

"Bestow my Princess all happiness. Put a lovely smile on her pretty face."

'What is he saying?'

"Erase all the bad things that happened to her in her memories. Retain the good ones."

'No! Stop!'

"Make her understand that I will always be her ally, her friend, her shield, her King... That I love her and I will never leave her side." He opened his eyes and smiled when he caught me gaping at him. "I wish you all the happiness in the world, Princess. I love you."

"Ian? Umiiyak ka?"

Natauhan ako nang marinig ang tanong nito at kaagad umayos. I turned around to wipe off the few tears on my eyes.

"Saglit nga. Harap ka nga sa akin," sabi nito bago ako puwersahang pinaharap.

I wasn't done wiping them off so he saw them right off the bat and his expression immediately hardened.