Numb

Waves of darkness was the only thing that kept on crashing in my mind. Back and forth. Like a tide hitting a brick wall. My body ached all over and my legs felt as if a ton of bricks was loaded upon them, weighing me down. My eyes stung and my head pounded.

I heard a voice but it was distant. I tried to hold on to it but it kept on slipping away.

My body was full of pain and...numbness.

"Wake up princess...please.." The same voice said but I couldn't figure out who it was. The voice seemed so distant and far off.

I tried opening my eyes but they felt as if staples were pinned into them. Pain inflicted all over.

"Please..." The same voice said and I felt someone caress my cheeks and brush away a stray hair.

I tried to open my eyes again, enduring the pain. After a few attempts I open them but quickly shut it when a beam of bright light hits my eyes.

"Finally..." I hear the same voice and I squint my eyes open to the now dim lit room.

I take in my surroundings and realise that I am in the school nurses office.

I turn around and see Aiden sitting beside me. I try to get up but fail miserably.

"Here, take it easy" he says before helping me sit up on the bed. I give him a small weak smile.

"Thanks" I say, my voice hoarse. My mouth felt completely dry like sandpaper.

Aiden probably noticed because he handed me a glass of water along with an aspirin, which I gulped down in a matter of seconds.

I heard him chuckle beside me. "Do you want more?" He asks with a small smirk.

"Yah my throat is really dry" I state and he gives me a wink, to which I roll my eyes.

How I managed? Well that's still a question I don't know an answer to.

Aiden refills my glass and I take it and gulp it down quickly, again within a matter of second's.

I hand the glass back to him while muttering a 'thank you'

"How long was I out for?" I ask since I can't really remember what happened. I look up and see him looking down on his lap with a frown etched on his face.

"About 2 and a half hours" he says and I almost widen in shock. And before I can ask what happened, he continues.

"Coach told us to do 4 laps but you continued... you kept on running. Coach blew the whistle to stop you but you continued. It was as if you couldn't hear us or notice us. " he looks up from his lap and looks up at me.

"I...I..." I didn't know what to say. It did feel like that when i was running.

My body still ached and felt numb.

I tried to think about what happened but it was all blank.

I looked at him to see him frowning even more.

"Coach blew the whistle, but you didn't stop. After that I ran after you. But you didn't stop. Then all of a sudden you stopped, you looked at me with tears in your eyes and said my name before you blanked out in my arms."

And then it all came crashing down like a snow storm. Ryan. The breakup. Coach. The laps. And then Aiden.

"I'm sorry" I said while looking at my lap. It was all I could say. I forced myself to look up at him and felt guilty when I saw his sad eyes.

"you ran 15 laps..." he continues.

Damn!

 A moment of silence passes before he speaks again.