The things we want

Colbie looked out the window. The streets of Manchester were wet because of the rain and the street lights were already been turned on as the night got darker. Colbie shoved her hand into her trousers' pocket looking for her mobile. As she pulled it out, she quickly regretted it. No, she wasn't calling her boss just yet. She wanted to keep her job, and maybe even the chance to get involved in bigger things, and quitting without so much as trying would be the end of her.

Colbie left her phone alone and as they approached their destination she had a quick look at her outfit to make sure everything looked fine.

"Here we are," said the driver.

Colbie looked at the forty-something-year-old man, then up, at the property they were entering. The house was just outside of the city, a nice rustic cottage with a wide gate for cars and a small entrance for pedestrians.

As they stopped at the gates, the driver lowered the window to speak through the intercom.

"What is our business here, miss?" The driver asked Colbie.

"Uh, they didn't tell you?" That was a stupid question, why would they? "Colbie Stuart, to see Laura Spafford."

The driver repeated what Colbie had said to the microphone. A few seconds later the gates opened up to let them in. The driver parked the car just outside the front door and told Colbie he wasn't supposed to go in. His job was bringing her to whatever she had to do at that cottage and then take her back safe and sound.

Colbie knocked on the door of the big cottage and waited a few seconds before it opened. A young man, about twenty or twenty-one, stood in front of her. Brown hair, blue eyes, white skin.

"Hey, you're Miss Stuart?"

"Uh, yeah. That's-that's me."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Lock. Laura's brother. Come on in."

Lock stood aside to let Colbie in. The cottage was large and filled with luxury. Laura hadn't been under the spotlight in years, yet she could afford a place like this, just outside Manchester. Colbie envied her for a moment.

"My sister's upstairs, in her study. Follow me."

As Colbie followed Lock up the stairs, she noticed the boy looked like he hadn't taken a shower in a while. He smelled of beer and cigarettes and puke. The house, despite its luxury, wasn't particularly tidy. There were bottles of vodka next to the sofa on the great hall and a few empty beer bottles here and there.

"Here we are," Lock said.

Colbie looked up at the wooden double door. Lock knocked.

"Yeah?" she heard a voice coming from the other side.

"The writer's here."

"Oh, shit. Can you cancel?"

Colbie felt awkward immediately, and Lock felt a bit embarrassed but was also amused. "No, I mean... She's here."

Laura didn't reply anything for a moment, regretting saying that in the first place. A few seconds later, she said, "Sure, come on in."

Lock gestured Colbie to go inside without him and then disappeared by the stairs. Colbie opened the double door to find Laura drinking a bottle of water next to the desk in the centre of the room.

"Miss Spafford?" Colbie called out.

Laura turned around, placed the bottle of water down and sat by her desk. "Wanna take a seat?" Laura asked nodding at the leather chair across her own.

Colbie sat down, with her attention focused on Laura Spafford. She was everything everyone said. She didn't really wear makeup, she had bags under her eyes and smelled of alcohol. Her skin was pale white in a way that seemed sick. Her dark hair had been brushed with her fingers and she was definitely not ready for a meeting like that one. She wasn't even the shadow of the woman she'd been once.