Fan Page

Colbie stared at her laptop screen feeling overwhelmed and scared. Two rumours that weren't even true had completely overtaken all British blog sites and video platforms. She kept clicking another one and another one and another one. All of them saying nastier things that the one before. Colbie swallowed heavily considering, what if it was true. What if what those people were saying actually happened? How well did she really know Laura? Two, three weeks maybe?

Cleo jumped to get on her lap. Colbie stroked the cat while images of Laura formed inside her head. The way she smiled every time Colbie arrived. How she was kind and patient with her brother. She was so good to her. No, Laura would've never done that. She was convinced and she would stay convinced until she saw proof, real proof.

Of course, that proof never arrived. Days kept passing by and the scandal started to look more and more like what it really was. They said, she says. Trevor Oliver didn't have any proof of what had happened. When the Starbucks employees were asked if his story was true, first they said they didn't remember, then they said it did happen, and then they said they really didn't remember but they just wanted attention. On the other hand, Francine had pictures, but you couldn't really see Laura getting closer than a metre from her and you can't tell what someone is saying just with a picture.

But people didn't want to let it go, they wanted to keep pushing the wound deeper and deeper asking for things as ridiculous as to compensate them with money.

So Colbie sat there, on her desk, in front of her laptop, knowing she should be writing but not being able to take her eyes off of the article regarding Laura's scandal. She clicked out of the page and into another one. The We Hate Laura Spafford page had gained a respectable ten thousand followers and two thousand likes. Colbie thought that was what really was upsetting Laura. Knowing that so many people were so quick to judge. She had never done anything to them, yet they were crucifying her.

So Colbie came out with an idea. She typed something on her keyboard while smiling thinking what's the worst thing that can happen?

After she was finished, she decided she couldn't just write that night, even if she wanted to every single sentence that came out of her head was utter crap. So instead, she took a quick shower, turned on her TV and watched a horror movie with Cleo on her chest. She was well into the movie when her phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Laura."

"Oh, Hey. How are you doing?"

"Well, you know the answer to that." Colbie felt silly for asking. "Listen, I have to run some errands tomorrow so, if you want, don't come over."

"Oh. Uh, okay. What if I join you?"

"No, that's fine."

"Okay, if you say so."

"See you the day after tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"Good night."

Laura hung up leaving Colbie feeling something strange. She knew something was off but couldn't quite put her finger on what, but she definitely had a bad feeling. The next morning, she found out what. Laura got her manager, Mark, to set up a meeting with Francine Cullen and Trevor Oliver to convince them to tell the truth. They had their fun, their fifteen minutes of fame at her expense, now let her be.

They both refused, saying she couldn't keep them quiet and that truth needed to come out, like they were some kind of executioners when they were just full of crap. The meeting ended up going tits up after Francine yelled saying she couldn't be bought. Which only caused Laura more problems.