Message

Laura kept reading. Each time she finished a page and flipped it over, it made Colbie more and more nervous. Laura stood up, read the script while walking from one place to the other moving her lips without any sound coming out, then came back to take a seat, and a few minutes later stood up again. It took her close to two hours to finish reading the script. She was standing by the window when she read the last page and her eyes rose from the pieces of paper.

She thought about it for a minute, then turned back to Colbie and asked, "It's a bit of a sad ending, ain't it?"

Colbie twisted on her seat and replied, "You think? I don't think so, I think the end is more opened to other things. Because your life isn't over yet giving it closure rather than letting the huge door of opportunities open would be more depressing to me."

Laura sat down and didn't give her opinion immediately, which made Colbie feel like something was wrong. She didn't like it, that was it. Laura hadn't liked the script and was trying to find the right words to say it. Oh, God, all the hours invested in that freaking draft only so Laura didn't like it, and if she didn't, it had all been for nothing.

"Say something," Colbie finally asked.

"I like it, Colbie. Relax. You need to have more faith in yourself, me chum" Laura replied, letting her pink lips twist into a smile. Colbie made a note to herself to remind her that Laura's always been pretty, but now she looked stunning. There was a certain atmosphere of bad girl that was extremely attractive. Particularly because she wasn't.

"Really?" Colbie asked.

"Yeah, I like it. I just... it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable that so many people are going to see this, you know? All of it. You included many details about my parents."

"It works best. People don't want to just see your story. They want to connect with you, for you to look like a human being. Giving them those details helps that happen."

Colbie could see that Laura understood that does details, as painful as they were, were necessary for the story.

"I noticed you changed my coming out story. You made it look like it was some random girl instead of Coralen. Thank you for that."

Colbie smiled. She didn't do it to protect Coralen Lawton. She couldn't care less about her, but it meant a lot to Laura. "So, what do you want to do?"

Laura sighed and said, "Give it to yer boss. Let's get the film rolling."

"Great, I'll get right on it."

"Have you got a copy? I mean, do you have this in your drive?" Laura asked showing Colbie the draft.

"Yeah."

"Can I keep this one?"

"Of course, it's yours. I gotta get going, I need to hand Dunlop the script by today. See you later?"

Laura nodded and Colbie left the study.

As soon as the writer left, Laura stared at the pile of papers she was holding in her hands, she swallowed saliva and sat on the floor, with her back to the desk. Then flipped pages until she found the one she was looking for. She felt ice running down the back of her neck.

FADE IN:

INT. Spafford House – DAY

Laura wakes up with a yawn on a Sunday morning. She goes downstairs to have breakfast with her mother and father. Her mother stands in front of the stove. Her father sits on the breakfast table reading the newspaper. Laura walks up to the refrigerator to get herself and glass of milk, and then sits next to her dad.