Chapter 28: A Night Fury!?

The next few days, Hiccup and Astrid went on their morning flights. They had lots of fun and so did their dragons. They tested their companion's speed, agility and attack. Today, they were trying out new moves for their dragons. There was this one move Hiccup invented where he and his dragon would dive in the water, Toothless would fire some of his plasma balls and then they would come out.

Hiccup and Astrid came back to the Cove and started to walk towards the village, as they always did at the end of their routine. When they were getting closer, they began to hear some screams. Hiccup looked up and saw smoke in the sky, and not a little of it as well!

They looked at each other and began to run towards the shouts. When they arrived in Berk, there were about three or four houses on fire with holes in them.

"What happened?!", asked Astrid to a woman. "A wild Night Fury's in Berk! We can't tame it! We tried, but nothing worked! Astrid! We need you!", answered the hopeless Berkian.

They ran as fast as they could to where this Night Fury was. "Oh Gods... That's no Toothless...", said quietly the girl. "Astrid! You're the best with dragons! You have to help us!", shouted Stoick. She nodded and slowly approached the mad dragon.

It looked a lot like Toothless, only its scales were dark purple and not dark grey like Toothless'. It was also way more aggressive.

Astrid put her hand in front of her to show the dragon she wasn't a threat. It wasn't very effective, because the Fury opened up its mouth, revealing a purple light inside. Hiccup knew what it was, so he jumped on Astrid, getting her out of the way.

The dragon blasted off its plasma ball into another house. The rider landed on top of her friend. "S-Sorry...", said the boy. "For saving my life? *laugh* Don't worry about it. Now tame that Night Fury!", replied Astrid. He nodded and helped her get up.

Hiccup, owning a Night Fury, knew a bit more about them than the rest of the Vikings. He put on hand up to the dragon and with the other he slowly took his sword. He showed the handle to dragon without opening it. It was still mad and growling. Hiccup then tossed Inferno a few feet away from him, to show the Night Fury he meant no harm. It worked partially: the dragon stopped growling, but was still showing his teeths. As soon as the rider took a step towards it, the Fury started to growl again. That's when Hiccup noticed something.

"It's hurt. Look!", he said, while pointing at the side of the dragon. There was some scars that looked quite fresh.
"Do you think that..."
"Hunters. No wonder it's so aggressive. It's scared," replied Hiccup, continuing what Astrid was saying.
"What do we do now?"
"Well... If it's scared of us, maybe it won't be with one of his kind..."
"You mean Toothless?!"
"They were gonna find out sooner or later."

The girl nodded and Hiccup went into the forest to find his loyal companion. Since it was an hour away from the village if you ran, Astrid had to make sure the dragon didn't destroy anything else. It doesn't look to long, but it felt like an eternity to the Berkians.

Finally, Hiccup got to Toothless and they were up in the sky. "Oh no! Another one!", shouted a man as the rider and his dragon flew over the village. They landed next to Astrid who had stayed in the same spot since he left.

When he got off, Toothless noticed the other dragon, and so did it. They were now staring at each other in fascination. Hiccup always thought that Toothless was the last Night Fury in the world. He wasn't so special anymore.

The rider began to slowly walk towards the aggressive dragon. It quickly stopped staring at Toothless and began to growl at Hiccup. The boy froze in place as his best friend wrapped his tail around him to protect him from the other dragon. It was a bit surprised by his action. Why would he protect a human, after all they've done to their kind?

Hiccup smiled at his buddy and walk up to the other Fury. He kneeled a few feet from it and held up his hand in front of the dragon. The dragon looked at Toothless and then back at the hand.

It then, to everyone surprise, put its head on the rider's hand. He let out a big sigh and looked up to see the now calm .

"I told you you could do it!", said Astrid with a proud smile on her face.
"Y-You have a Night Fury?", asked a firm voice from behind. The rider turned around to see his father agaped.

"Surprise?"