Chapter 38: Rescue mission

They mounted their dragons and headed out North to Glacier Island. It will take them hours to reach Drago's base, so our hero better hang on tight.

He was trapped in a cage as cold as ice with no chance of escape... It is rare for Hiccup to give up, but when he's in pain, close to hypothermia, and away from his dragon, it's hard for him to think he was going to be "all right".

"Open the cage! Hiccup and I are going to have a little talk...", said Drago, in a deep voice. Two dragon hunters did as he asked and tied the rider on a chair. He just let them do what they had to... He didn't have the power to even try the slightest thing!

"W-What... d-do you w-want?", asked Hiccup in a very low voice.
"What I always wanted... Your secrets!", answered the tall man.
"I-I won't tell you... anything!"
"*grunt* Very well..."

Drago punched him in the jaw again, and again, until his face was covered in blood. "You brought this on yourself!", said the man, after some time. When Hiccup thought he was done, the man took a dagger and lightly cut the rider on the forearm, making him grunt from pain.

"Are you willing to tell me, now?", asked Drago. "N-Never... i-in a thousand years...", replied Hiccup. The man frowned and continued leaving small cuts all over the rider's face, arms and legs. Bludvist wanted to know every last secret about dragons, and he was willing to do anything he possibly could to do so... Even if it meant torturing a stupid little boy.

After a few minutes of silence, Drago had enough. He took his bullhook and lifted it up in the air, ready to strike.

"Boss! I don't want to interrupt your interrogation session, but... um... d-don't you think we should keep him alive? He's gonna have to crack sooner or later! *nervous chuckle* R-Right?", said one of the hunters. Drago quickly turned his head to face the man who just talked to him.
"Are you telling me how to do my job?!", screamed the chief, take the hunter by his throat.
"N-No! I j-just... *couch*...", let out the man.
"*grunt* But you're right... For now, I'll let him live... Lock him away!"

The same two hunters untied Hiccup and began to walk towards his cage when they got interrupted by... uninvited guests.

"Stormfly, spine shot!", screamed Astrid. The dragon shot right next to the hunters who were holding Hiccup. They let him go and he fell on the ground, lifeless. He was picked up by Fishlegs, while Astrid, Snotlout and the twins were battling the dragon hunters.

The blonde girl noticed the Night Fury and tried to spine shot the cage open, with no success. "Snotlout, Tuff and Ruff! You take the guards, I'll help Toothless!", shouted the girl to her friends. They all nodded while she got down to the ground to try and open the cage.

She tried breaking the lock with her axe, but nothing... She tried Stormfly's spine shot again, but nothing! While she wasn't looking, Drago was slowly coming towards her, and Hiccup was flying in the sky, watching the action. He wasn't about to see his sweet Astrid die in front of his eyes.

"F-Fishlegs... G-Go down...", managed to say the rider.
"No! No way! I'm not letting you risk your life down there!", answered the boy.
"If I don't, Astrid will die!"
"B-Bu-"
"Do it! Now!"

Fishlegs had no other choice... He landed Meatlug next to Astrid and Hiccup took his sword and lit it up.

"Hic- H! What are you..."
"You leave her alone, Drago!", interrupted the weak rider.
"*evil laugh* You think you're such a hero, but in reality... you're nothing!", said Bludvist.
"We'll see about that!"

He started to swing his weapon at the man, but didn't end up hitting him. He was unfortunately too weak to do so.

"Take my sword... You and Stormfly watch my back while I open the cage..." The girl nodded and did has he said. He took out his lock picking kit and began his usual work. The rush of adrenaline allowed him to unlock the cage in a few seconds! He mounted his loyal companion and fled the battlefield.

"I'll catch you, Hiccup! And you'll regret ever being born!", screamed Drago as they got away. It took them a day and a half to get back to Berk, safe and sound... No one said a word the whole flight. Astrid would look back once in a while at Hiccup and Toothless to make sure they were all right.

They landed in the Cove. As soon as they did, Astrid immediately ran to her rider and hugged him.

"I missed you!", she said, crying. "*sigh* I-I did too, Astrid...", answered Hiccup, relieved he was alive. "G-Guys... I don't wanna interrupted you, but... did I hear this Drago guy say 'Hiccup'?", said lightly Tuffnut. They broke up their hug and the rider looked at them, then at the ground.

"Well... Now you know...", said Hiccup, with guilt in his voice.