Chapter 40: Reunion

Just real quick...
juliajm15.tumblr.com/post/92164158896/galtenoble-i-will-keep-you-from-all-harm/amp
That's the link to whoever is the great artist behind this chapter's fanart... Enjoy Stoick's reaction.

Stoick's expression changed from frowning to... It's quite hard to explain the expression of a father who sees his son for the first time in 8 years.

He was relieved. Relieved to know that his son was all right, that he was alive! And yet felt afraid. Afraid to say the wrong thing. Afraid to say anything!

He stayed silent, while his eyes teared up. He started to slowly walk towards Hiccup, who stayed frozen, not knowing what to do. He stopped when he was inches from him. Stoick looked at him from the tip of his toes to the top of his head.

He never noticed how big he really was until now. He was taller, maybe a foot taller than his 15-year-old self. His hair was still auburn, but different. It was longer... Long enough to make three small braids on the side of his head. He still had his eyes. Those beautiful lime green orbs. Exactly the same as his.

He still wondered what happened to his missing leg. Did he lose it to dragons, to hunters? His prosthetic leg didn't really matter right now, his son... his whole son did.

He had about a dozen small cuts all over every his body. He was mad. Mad at Hiccup that he didn't try to defend himself, but also mad at himself, for not being there for him, not protecting his own son!

Stoick opened his mouth but nothing came out.

"I know what you're going to say, Dad. How could I have done this? Stayed away all these years. And how I didn't come back...", started to say Hiccup. His father just stayed agaped and silent. "Well, what sign did I have that you could change, Dad? That anyone on Berk could?! I couldn't just tell you you were all wrong about dragons! I know I left you all alone, but I thought you'd be better off without the dragon rider son! *chuckle* A-And I was wrong, I see that now, but... *grunt* Stop being so stoic, Dad! Go on... Shout, scream, say something!!"

"I couldn't be... more proud of you, son...", was the only thing Stoick was able to say to his son. Hiccup couldn't believe it. He had no words to say. How could his father be proud of him? After all he had done?!

"*laugh* Yes! Yes, yes, yes! I knew it! I knew you couldn't be dead!", shouted Gobber, extremely happy. He hit Hiccup in the back, making him take a step forwards.
"Gobber! Don't hurt him more!", said Astrid.
"All right, all right! Sorry Hiccup!"
"Astrid, Gobber... Could you please leave us alone?", asked Stoick in a soft voice.

The rider looked at his friend with fear in his eyes. She squeezed his hand and said: "Of course! Take all the time you need!" They left, leaving the father and the son together.

When they were finally alone, the first thing Stoick did was something Hiccup would've never guess. He hugged him. At that moment, the rider cracked. He began to cry uncontrollably, and so did his father.

"I'm sorry, son. For everything! I-I should've helped you grow. I should have looked for you more! I am so sorry, Hiccup...", said Stoick.
"No, Dad. You shouldn't be the one to be sorry. I should be. I just... left! I should have at least told you! I was so selfish! I ran away because I didn't want you to find out I was riding a dragon...", explained Hiccup.
"Not just a dragon, Hiccup... A Night Fury!"
"*chuckle* Well... When you put it that way..."

"All this time, I thought you were dead. It was easier for me to think you weren't alive. I didn't have to wait for your return that way... You've been with us for more than a month, Hiccup! Why didn't you tell me sooner?"
"Because I...I-I thought that you would be mad at me for... for running away. O-Or... that you would be disappointed that.. that I was... me."
"Disappointed? Disappointed?! *laugh* Hiccup! You're riding a Night Fury, for Thor's sake! More than that, you can fly! You are incredible, son!"
"You have no idea how good it feels to hear that..." They both smiled.
"Now... Let's go outside...", said Stoick, patting Hiccup's back.

He nodded, smiling. They walked out of the Great Hall and headed to the very center of the village. The chief cleared his throat and said, loudly enough for the whole village to hear: "My son... has returned!!" He took and lifted Hiccup's hand up in the air, like he had just won something.

Everyone started to whisper to one another. After a few seconds, the whole village started to cheer for Hiccup's presence. He looked at his father. He really did look happy!

"Told you he wouldn't be mad!", said Astrid. "You are always right, M'lady!", replied the rider, shouldering the girl. She laughed, and shortly, so did he. Then he realized, he was part of his village...

He was finally a part of his family again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey! There's Stoick's reaction!! Hope I wrote it well... Also, when Hiccup is talking to his dad, I took the script from HTTYD2 (the part when Valka and Stoick talk for the first time in 20 years) so... NOT MINE!!! I don't know if you like it when I use sentences from the movies... but I like it! Anyways, thanks for all your support!!
-Maya's Stories
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~