Chapter 8: Self-doubt

Chop, chop.

Wooden swords echoed off one another as they collided. The sun shone over a river with a waterfall that was gleaming and sparkling. I gripped the handle of a wooden sword so tight that my knuckles were white. Zayden's blow from his sword made some strong impact against mine. I tried to hit him when I saw an open spot but Zayden was too quick. Blocking my strike and kicking me back. The force caused me to fall to the ground right onto my bum. I was left heaving, and grunting out of breath.

"You must focus when you attack you must still keep your guard up. You're getting stronger though, and better." Zayden spoke through gasping breaths.

"I am not good enough though!" I spat in anger out of my frustration.

We have been training for weeks and I still wasn't able to hold my ground. I stomped off in anger towards the beautiful river nearby that had a waterfall. I found this spot after Zayden had been called to the King after riding the other day. It was still close to the castle. Reaching the bank of the river I set the wooden sword down as I sat down hugging my knees close to my chest.

I gazed over the waterfall, taking in the details. The water seemed to flow gently yet rapidly at the same time while I could hear the sound of crashing water against water. Sunlight reflecting off the water, making it glisten and shine. Birds singing in the trees and the chipmunks were chirping. Everything seemed surreal and beautiful. I began feeling at peace as my anger faded, and my blood stopped pulsing through my veins.

I heard light footsteps approaching from behind me. Grabbing the wooden sword I jumped to my feet. My heart beating against my chest in panic as the tip of my sword was barely touching Zayden's throat. He raised his hands in retreat.

"Relax, it's just me Lillith," his voice soft, with a half-grin on his face.

I sighed in relief and sat back down on the river bank. My body shaking as the adrenaline was pumping through me. I took some deep breaths to help calm my body back down until I felt relaxed again. Zayden sat beside me cautiously. He remained silent as he stared out over the river.

What seemed like hours of silence, I decided to speak. "Do you really think I will be ready for this world?"

"Yes. I do Lillith. Not just because both of your parents were strong fighters but because you are a quick learner. I don't see you as the type to give up," Zayden said gently, turning his gaze towards me. "It takes a lot of time to learn how to fight. To learn history and skills that you were supposed to learn slowly over the years of growing up," he said.

"My training won't stop there, will it?" My voice shook slightly.

I feared to be on my own in this crazy world. A world that was so absurd to think about. I have come to be very comfortable around Zayden. He never tried anything and it did slightly help that Aaylah loved the guy.

"No. The training will not stop. Even I still train and practice..." He trailed off, still staring at me.

I looked back over at him as he smiled. The sun making his skin olive but with a slight glow, soft and angelic. His eyes were so dark yet gorgeous and capturing. I glanced away suddenly, realizing I am probably looking at him as if I was drooling over a plate of barbecued ribs. How ridiculous is that? I hated catching myself admiring him. Mostly because I was still in denial about this whole world. In denial that I found myself attracted to a werewolf.

"It's okay, you know?" His voice was soft and angelic.

My peripheral vision caught his grin, causing my cheek to heat up as I began to blush. Zayden shifted his weight and got up. Dusting the dirt off his clothes. Then he held out his hand to me and smiled.

"Let's go to my place? I will make us something to eat," he offered sincerely, smiling kindly.

Despite my suspicions that the offer wasn't as harmless as I would like. I decided to take a chance and I took his hand, letting him pull me up off the ground.

Audience:

Again, thank you so much for reading, it truly means a lot to me. Please leave comments if you find anything I can improve on, I really want to grow as a writer and make my story as enjoyable as possible! (:

xoxoxo