Chapter 10: Love and a Message

I could hear voices in the distance. Familiar voices. I slowly opened my eyes and glanced around. My heart slammed against my chest as panic hit me when I saw I was on a bed covered in deep red blankets. The room I was in was huge with furniture placed around it methodically.  Colors of red and tan. A big work desk was in the corner with piles of papers stacked.

"Lillith," I heard a man say in worry.

I looked up to see Zayden standing in the doorway, he looked terrified.  Then I remembered where I was. I stayed the night at Zayden's place and he let me sleep in his room while he slept out in the living room on the couch.  I may have drunk a little too much champagne last night as my head had a dull ache and I felt groggy.

"May I sit by you?" he asked bashfully. I was shocked that he asked for permission.

"Sure" I replied. He walked towards me cautiously and sat at the end of the bed.

"How are you feeling?" he asked with a gleam of amusement in his eyes. 

"I'm a little hungover, but I feel fine," I said in embarrassment.

Drunk me was not always the smartest me. After we danced last night I remember I tried baking something. Cookies maybe. The end result was a disaster. Zayden nodded with a small chuckle that made his black curls bounce.

"I need to say something," he said, suddenly looking nervous.

"Okay..." I trailed off. His worried looks were making me on edge.

"I want to say... I think you and I..." he kept pausing, struggling to say what he wanted to say.

"You and I, what?" I prodded, trying to get him to tell me what was on his mind.

I was slightly worried about how he was acting so nervous. The thought crossed my mind that maybe he didn't want us seeing each other more than friends.

"You and I were meant to be together," he mumbled.

My heart nearly leaped out of my chest when the words left his mouth.

"Meant to be together?" My voice shook from being so nervous.

"Werewolves usually have destined mates," he said cautiously.

My heart stopped in my chest. Destined mates? Could this be why our connection feels so overwhelming?

"I still haven't seen proof that what you had told me about werewolves and witches is true," I said under my breath. Zayden stood up, his face falling expressionless.

"You want proof? Are you ready for proof?" he questioned with slight judgment to his tone.

"I need proof! Otherwise, I will be living here in denial that werewolves exist!" I yelled angrily.

Something about his tone made my blood boil and his lack to get me proof of what I needed to see. 

"Fine," he growled, and his eyes grew darker as his body tense up.

It was quick but I saw it. His face became distorted, growing ears, fur, and a muzzle as his body quickly cracked and popped as bones shifted into a different form. Claws formed out of hands and fur grew everywhere. Until there he was. A large, muscular, dark grey wolf with the darkest brown eyes I have seen.

My whole body was trembling. My heart about to beat out of my chest. How could this be real? I blinked several times to try and get the image of the wolf away, but there he stood. His ears flicking while his dark eyes intently looked at me, boring into my soul.  I felt terrified. Goosebumps formed all over my body but part of me always knew, this was real. I could no longer deny it.