Chapter 6: Connection

I was staring out over the training field. Dust faintly hovering the ground as the cool wind blew softly. The green forest trees swayed gently as the birds sung a song. It was pure beauty and I felt so at peace. Watching the chipmunks roam through the thickets and climbing up and down trees.

"You're still here?" I heard Zayden's voice behind me, it was deep and husky.

"Yeah."

"Why? The training ended hours ago..."

"I just love to be out here. The peaceful sounds and view of nature" I said softly.

"Yeah. Me too. It makes sense though, werewolves and witches are bounded to nature" he replied as he stepped beside me. His dark gaze looking over the trees and then he gazed up at the bright blue sky.

"Bounded?" my voice barely came out above a whisper.

Zayden shrugged, "yeah, in away. Nature is where wolves feel at home. Nature is where witches draw their power from."

The thought intrigued me. I was always more of an outdoors person than most people. even my parents got annoyed at me when I was younger because I would always beg to go outside and do something.

"Do you feel drawn to nature?" I asked.

"All the time, Lillith. I often feel it is trying to speak to me sometimes," he glanced at me warily.

"Speak to you?" I smirked.

I have been feeling more comfortable around Zayden lately. Safer. He never once tried anything or made an insulting comment of any kind. He always made sure I was comfortable and eating.

"Yeah. You know, like calling to me? Or something." His cheeks turned a slight red. I giggled. He was becoming embarrassed.

"I know what you mean" I gave him a warm smile.

It was moments like these that I felt a deep connection to him. Like he understood me. It was more than that but I couldn't place my finger on it.

"Well I'm glad you do because I was starting to think you thought I sounded crazy" he lightly nudged my shoulder with a grin, letting out a deep chuckle.

It was the most mesmerizing laugh I ever heard from a man and that smile. That smile lit up the world. Why was I admiring him so deeply? I needed to stop. I didn't want to stop though, it all seemed so peaceful. So surreal. Like I was living the life I wanted deep down but it wasn't real. It was too bizarre to be real. 

"Hey. I wanted to tell you the other day but I forgot. I wanted to give this to you so you know that you aren't a prisoner here, no matter what my father says." He held out a rolled up paper out to me.

I gently grabbed it and unrolled it. It was a map of Nishiba. It showed the castle and what looked like portals?

"What is this?" I asked.

"It is the map of Nishiba and those portals," he pointed his fingers over the symbolic portals on the map, "they are the way back to your world."

"Why are you showing me this?"

"Because I don't believe you should be held captive here if you don't want to be here. I won't stop you from leaving, I just want you to live the life you want but with knowing who you are..." he trailed off. His dark eyes held mine intensely.

I couldn't believe he would defy his father's orders for me. It wasn't something I expected since he seemed to obey his father's demands no matter what.

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything Lillith. If anything, I owe you for not standing up to my father earlier."

"Do these portals lead me close to home?" I asked, curious since he said 'my world.'

"If you envision your destination, it will take you there. These lands are built by the witches to protect the supernatural from the human race."

"Wow..." I trailed off. I knew I was someone I never heard of but I didn't think I was in a world created by magic.

Zayden touched my arm gently, "with time, it will make sense. I can only hope you choose to stay because I really enjoy spending time with you. It's your choice though."

"You enjoy my company?" I smirked.

"Oh, come on. You're the only person I could talk about my connection to nature with," he laughed. Again, making the world light up and the sound of his laugh was like music to my ears.

"Yeah, but what other similarities do we have?" I was curious to know him better.

"Aaylah loves us both," he grinned. "Nah. On a serious note, do you like to ride horses?"

"It's been a long time but I remember loving to ride," I smiled.

Remembering when I was younger my parents had a horse for me. She was a blue roan named River. She loved water. It would be impossible to bath her because she always had her face in the water that sprayed in the hose, puckering her upper lip as she nodded her head joyfully.

"Would you like to come and ride with me?" Zayden snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Of course."

He nodded and led the way towards the castle. We came upon a barn colored brown. It looked very modern and huge. Zayden talked to some stable hands that gave me curious glances but said nothing. They disappeared and returned with two horses that were tacked up. A tall, slim, bay and a short, muscular chestnut.

"They're beautiful" I gasped. It's been so long since I been close to a horse. I walked up to them slowly, lifting my hand to their nose as their hot breath hit the surface of my skin. Causing goosebumps to form on my arms. Horses always intrigued me.

"Do you need help up?" Zayden asked as he took the reins from the stable hands and they left.

"No, I think I got it." I nodded in confidence as I grabbed the reins to the chestnut colored horse.

I looped my reins around the horse's neck and grabbed onto the saddle horn. I lifted my foot into the stirrup and pushed all my weight into that leg to pull myself up into the saddle. Except in that very second, my foot slipped out of the stirrup and I fell onto my bum, a sharp pain shooting up to my hips. Ouch. My face immediately felt hot and itchy as I sat there in embarrassment.

"You think?" Zayden chuckled.

"Oh, shut up!" I glared at him.

He continued his melodic laugh that seemed to mesmerize me. His hand reached out opened. I grabbed it as he lifted me onto my feet. Our bodies were only centimeters apart as I could feel the heat radiating off him. My head began feeling light-headed and fuzzy, like a high. My pulse was beating faster as I felt his hot breath against my face.

"Shall we try this again?" he asked.

I looked into his dark gaze. It was so intense I found it difficult to move and I barely heard myself say 'yes.' He gently pushed me towards the horse as our gaze broke. Allowing me to focus on getting on the damn horse. He helped lift me up into the saddle and adjust the stirrups for my height.

"You ready?" he asked as he smoothly lifted himself on top of the bay horse.

"Yes," I smiled. I felt very happy for an odd reason. Part of me thought it was the horses as I followed Zayden into the beauty of the forest.

Audience:

*What does everyone think so far?

*Should I continue this? Or move onto the next part of the story?

Thank you or reading! (: