Chapter 18: Catch Me If You Can

I was pacing back and forth in my room, "I can't believe I have to be around them! I don't want anything to do with them!" I yelled, frustrated and angry. I knew those emotions came from being hurt and I could do little about the hurt I felt.

"It may not be as bad as you think," Ryuu tried to calm me down.

"No, people don't just tear someone's heart out and then let their father torture that person more emotionally!" I found myself screaming at the person who did nothing to hurt me.

I started bawling my eyes out, holding my face in my hands as hiccups escaped me. Ryuu let out a sigh and grabbed my arm, pulling me into a hug. His presence felt oddly safe and comforting.

"A-And what kind of princess am I? If Jessie is his princess that means she becomes the queen, not me," I muffled out the words against his chest, crying even harder. I don't know why it bothered me so much, I never liked leading people.

"Shhh... it will all get figured out. I don't know how far he took it with you, but I do know the pain will eventually subside. Maybe you have another mate out there somewhere," his voice was soft and calming.

I tried calming myself, taking deep breathes. I never cried much, I never felt insecure, until I was kidnapped and ended up here. I felt lost like I barely knew myself anymore.

"Alright, go clean up your face and let's try to go, once again," Ryuu teased lightly.

We were supposed to leave for Zayden's and Jessie's ceremony an hour ago, but I kept getting too upset. I really didn't know how Ryuu was putting up with my mood's high and lows, I could barely handle myself. I could only imagine what it was like for him.

Quickly, I went to the bathroom and washed my face. Throwing on some eyeliner and mascara, a little bit of blush and toner so no one will be able to tell I was crying. I sighed, exhausted and not wanting to go to this ceremony. What if they kissed? The thought angered me and made my wolf anxious.

---

We walked up towards a crowd of people. The ceremony was outdoors because there were way too many people to fit indoors. There were throne chairs and a big open space where the ground was covered in grass. Walking slowly through the crowd, I tried to not lose Ryuu through all the people.

There were children running around playing, groups mingling, and champagne being passed around. Guards were posted all around, even at the throne chairs, but the royalty family had not arrived yet. Ryuu wanted to take me around and meet people, but because I made us late for that I doubt there was much time to do so.  Once Ryuu and I were through most of the people, I realized he was taking me towards the throne chairs.

"Are we allowed to be up there?" I asked quickly as we walked up to the throne.

"Of course, you are one of the princesses after all," he replied nonchalantly.

Something about that made my blood spike, my body hot with anger. We will never be queen my wolf growled. Ryuu spun around wide-eyed, and I almost plunged him over from following so closely.

"What?"

"You need to stop doing that" he snapped.

My eyes wide with surprise, "doing what?"

"Growling, you did in front of the King and Queen yesterday and now you did it again."

"I'm sorry, I forgot you could hear her," I stuttered in embarrassment.

"That's why it is important to keep her under control," he smirked. "Now, here is where you will be sitting, by the Queen. She's very kind so don't worry," he gestured at a smaller throne next to the Queens.