Chapter 7: Horses and Kings

Horse hooves clapped against the muddy ground. The aroma of the after rain lingered in the air, offering a refreshing feeling with each inhale. The sun peeked through the clouds creating some warmth in the chilly air.

Zayden rode ahead of me on a black Arabian horse. This is the third time we've been out riding. Zayden thought it would help me adjust if we went for a ride after training daily. He wasn't wrong, animal therapy always soothed my worries and stresses.

"When do I meet the King and Queen?" I asked, trying to fill in the silence.

"Soon. I've been trying to set something up but so far there hasn't been a good time."

"Is there anything I should be concerned about?" I felt slightly fearful that maybe Queen Amelia was already making her moves to kill me but everyone was sheltering me from it.

Zayden pulled back his reins to stop his horse and looked back at me with a smile, "no, Lillith. It's just politics and business."

I let out a sigh of relief, "it's just odd that I haven't met them yet."

"Lillith..." Zayden paused, looking worried. "I am only telling you this because I want you to be aware of everything. I don't think my father wants to meet you."

Out of all things to say, I didn't expect that. My heart seemed to drop at his mere words. Why did I care what the King thought of me anyway? My chin crinkled and twitched as I fought back tears. Why the hell did I care so much?

"Why?" the words barely came out, "why doesn't he?"

"You got to understand. He doesn't have anything against you but you are a painful memory to him. Your father and my father were close, very close."

Zayden reached his hand out and laid it on top of mine. His warmth instantly comforting me as it seeped through my skin. He squeezed gently with a small smile. The feeling of his skin against mine sent electric tingles up my arm causing me to shrug.

"What about your mother?" I tried to ignore the feelings Zayden was causing.

"She never leaves my father's side. Except when she paints of course but that is her quiet time..." he trailed off. Staring at me with his intense dark gaze.

"Oh." I simply replied as my mood became more mellowed. I understood how other people can be painful reminders of those we lost.

He moved his hand away to my disappointment. Leaving my hand feeling cold and empty but still tingling. We continued riding in silence as we made our back to the castle. I decided that I was going to stay and figure this part of my life out. I would always have the choice to leave as long as I had the map or Zayden around. 

"Zayden," I called out to him as we unmounted the horses and walked them into the barn.

"Yes?" he handed the reins to the stable hand. I did the same and watched the two horses walk side by side, both black with a slim build. 

"I will be staying in Nishiba, but I must be promised something..." I trailed off, looking at him seriously.

"What do you want to be promised?"

"That I will always have the option to leave, no matter what."

"Lillith," he kneeled down on one knee and grabbed my hand gently. The warmth sending electric tingles up my arm once again. "I promise you. You will always have the option of leaving no matter what, as long as I am here," he finished sincerely.

"Thank you," I gave him a small smile.

"Lillith, there's something I need to tell you," he looked extremely worried with his eyebrows furrowed together.

"What?"

"Zayden!" Ryuu stalked into the barn behind us, interrupting our conversation.

"What is it, Ryuu? Can it wait?" Zayden said annoyed.

"No. King Aiden asked to see you immediately. He just returned your royal highness."

"I apologize Lillith but I must go," Zayden kissed the top of my hand gently.

His lips burned my skin with pleasure and then within seconds, it was over. He turned to leave. I watched his hurried steps as his shoulders seemed to tense with each step.

"Lillith" I heard Ryuu say. I glanced over to meet his intense green gaze. He shuffled his feet nervously.

"Yeah?"

"Will you be okay by yourself? I must go as well," he asked softly.

"Of course, I know the way back to my room," my voice quivered.

His eyes seemed to keep me captivated. I did wonder, why was he so nervous? He jolted awkwardly as if deciding to stay or go.

"Very well. Take care Lillith, " he gave a small smile then rushed out of the barn.

Ryuu seemed nice, genuine, but I couldn't understand why he was so awkward. I also couldn't get the curious thoughts away of what Zayden wanted to say. I felt overwhelmed as I stood there in the middle of a large barn. Horses naying in the background. I felt alone. No. Lost. I was still lost.

Audience:

Hey everyone!

**How was this chapter?

Hope it was interesting!

**Just trying to show the chemistry a bit between the characters.

Thank you for reading!

xoxo