Chapter 23: The Past

[Lillith's Point of View]

The air smelled stale while the darkness surrounded us. Goosebumps formed on my arms from the cold air creeping through the surface of my skin. I took my next couple steps carefully, silently. Peeking through rusty bars as I looked into each cell for the unknown.

Ryuu was right on my heels as we approached the last cell that was furthest from the entrance.  I walked up to the bars squinting into the eerie darkness. This cell went back much deeper than the previous ones.

"Hello?" I whispered.

Silence.

"Anyone in there?"

Silence.

"Lillith. No one is down here."

"Well, there was," I replied sadly.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting. Prisoners would come and go.

"Lillith?" A deep male voice came from the dark, startling both Ryuu and me.

"Yes?"

"Come closer," the voice was deep. Powerful.

I stepped forward timidly. Ryuu grabbed my arm and shook his head.

"It's okay," I said reassuringly. "Who are you?"

I dark figure came out. A tall, buff, scruffy man stood before. He had a t-shirt and jeans that were torn and dirty. His eyes were black, no. Dark of color? I could not tell. His dark hair and beard were grown out and not taken care of.

"Queen Amelia did not mention me?" he mused as he stepped closer. Closer. Until he was right in front of me. He looked like he was forty under the dirt and scruff.

"No, she didn't. Who are you?" I asked again.

Ryuu watching beside me carefully.

"You can call me Enzo, short for Lorenzo. I was Queen Amelia's former lover," he said with humor.

"What?" Ryuu blurted out in surprise. "Why are you down here?"

"Ahh, that woman." He spat in venom, "she's worse than the devil himself."

His words sent chills down my spine. He began pacing back and forth, lost in thought for a moment.

"She wanted our daughter to reign in her evil doings. She wanted to build a hell and have an heir to take over. I tried my best to protect our daughter. I made sure she was hidden and disconnected from me," his voice was filled with anger.

I knew. I knew who he was. My father.

"She had her trackers following me and when they caught me, our daughter was long gone," he finished.

"Holy shit," Ryuu said under his breath as he made the connection.

Lorenzo's laugh was something dark, echoing off the stone walls.

"I would highly suggest you leave me in here, Lillith."

"How can I leave you in there? Your my-" he cut me off.

"No! I was your father. I am not the man I once was," he snarled.

His eyes. They were so dark. No white showed from them. No color.

"What happened?" the words barely came out.

How can the man who saved me look so evil?

"I was bound to the darkness. When I lost you, my dear daughter. I fell apart. It was my last straw and that's all the darkness needed," his words faltered.

"If it slowly turns you..." I trailed off, "does that mean," I paused. Trying to get the right words to form. "Does that mean I will eventually be consumed by the darkness?"

"Oh, my darling. No." he jerked his head towards me and grabbed the bars gentle to look me in the eyes.

His eyes were soul-less. A dark, emptiness.

"I made the choice to be bound. You did not. It is in your blood but unless you choose it, it cannot grow."

His words made me suspicious of Queen Amelia. Even more so then I was. Was she going to try and make me choose the darkness? The question sent cold chills down my spine and arms.

"I still want to set you free," my voice came at raspy.

In that second I felt rough hands clasp around my neck, squeezing tighter. My airway was cut off as I tried to gasp for air like a fish needing water. I held onto my father's arm trying to push his hands away as the edges of my vision began to turn black.

"Let her go!" I heard Ryuu growl as he stepped forward.

My father pushed me hard. Causing me to land on my back gasping for air as it stung with every inhale and exhales.

"Wha- is your problem?" I stuttered out between coughs. Rubbing my throat gently as it burned.

"You stupid girl," Lorenzo growled, "you let me out and the only thing I will want to do is kill. Kill!" he snarled and began laughing wickedly.

"Fine," I hissed.

How could he be so far gone? How can the man who did everything to protect me be a crazed killer? Tears began to form in my eyes without my wanting. They just fell without the motions of crying.

"Let's go," Ryuu offered his hand to help me up but I pushed it away angrily.

I heaved myself up glaring at my supposed father.

"I will go but I refuse to believe you are lost to evil," I spat.

Something small changed in his eyes but it was gone within seconds. Ryuu was tugging at my elbow for us to go.

"Goodbye, father."

Audience:

Hmm. What do you think Lillith is up to?

How would you feel if that was your father?

Please let me know your thoughts! (:

Happy Readings!

xoxo