Ch. 2

"Hey Gin?"

Ginny looked over at her friend as they walked down the corridor. "What's up?"

"Do you ever get the feeling that you're being watched?" Hermione asked, looking at the red head.

"Honestly?" Ginny looked down at the floor. "Yeah, I have. It started at the train station."

"Same," Hermione said. "It's worrying me a bit."

"It could just be paranoia," Ginny offered. "I mean, this is supposed to be our first normal year. Maybe after everything that's happened, we're just not used to the idea of not being in trouble, so our minds are making us think something's wrong."

Hermione contemplated this for a few moments before sighing. "I bet you're right. It will be nice to have a relaxing year. Would be more relaxing though if I didn't have to spend my time avoiding Malfoy constantly."

"Why don't you try not avoiding him for a night?" Ginny suggested.

Hermione stared at her. "Why would you even suggest that?"

"Well, you said that he hasn't tried to insult you or anything. And he had plenty of chances in the library to say something rude, and all he did was call you by your first name."

"And you don't think that's weird at all?" Hermione asked skeptically.

"I never said I didn't, but I don't think you should write him off immediately," Ginny said with a shrug. "Remember, he gave Harry his wand in the battle. Maybe he's really changed from the war."

They stopped outside of the Head's Dorm as Hermione sighed. "Maybe you're right."

"If you'd rather come spend the night in my dorm, you're more than welcome to," Ginny offered with a smile. "It would be nice to have a girl's night again."

Hermione smiled at her. "Thanks, I'll let you know if I change my mind and want to come over. And you're always welcome here too."

"That would be nice!" Ginny jumped up and down slightly. "Alright, well I'll see you later maybe!"

They hugged and Ginny walked off towards the Gryffindor dorms, leaving Hermione standing outside of her dorm room. She took in a deep breath and whispered the password to the portrait, causing it to swing open.

She was surprised to see Malfoy already in the common room, reading on one of the couches in front of the fire.

They looked at each other for a few moments before she tore her eyes away and began walking towards her room.

"Granger?"

She stopped and mentally prepared for anything he had to say, looking at him over her shoulder. "What do you want, Malfoy?"

He seemed almost taken aback by her frostiness but went on. "I just wanted to know if you wanted to sit out here and have a drink with me."

She gaped at him, opening and closing her mouth as words failed her. "I...uh...what?"

He smirked slightly. "Did Weasley never want to just sit with you and talk?"

"No, but..." She trailed off, looking down at her feet in confusion.

"It's alright if you're not comfortable with it," He said in a softer tone, setting down the book that was in his hands. "I just wanted to apologize for how I've treated you all these years, and maybe get to know you a little more."

She stared at him. The apology part she could somewhat believe, but getting to know her? He simply looked at her, waiting patiently for her to say something.