Ch. 4

About an hour later, the two girls were enjoying the sunshine by the lake, slightly away from everyone else who had the same idea. They had conjured up some blankets, Hermione sitting on one while Ginny was skipping rocks across the lake.

"Ginny, you're going to make the giant squid angry," Hermione jokingly warned.

The red head looked back at her friend as she flicked her wrist, sending a small rock flying across the lake. "What's it going to do? Walk up here to come get me?"

Hermione shook her head and leaned back onto her palms, closing her eyes and soaking up the sunshine. She took a deep breath and felt utterly relaxed, more calm than normal.

What the two girls didn't know is that not too far off from them, two Veelas sat under a tree, watching them.

"So you got her drunk?" Blaise asked playfully, nudging his friend.

Draco glared at him. "I did no such thing. I only poured her two glasses, she poured the third one herself."

He looked back at the brown-haired girl sitting on the blanket. She looked so radiant in the sunlight,and he felt content as he knew his mate was happy. He could feel her relax from where he sat, though he knew it was partly because he was there, as he also felt a wave of calm over him. But he always felt it in her presence.

Blaise in turn was watching his mate as she skipped rocks across the lake. He smiled before running his hand over his head. "I don't know how to talk to her, mate."

Draco looked over at his friend before looking at Ginny. "Have you talked to Slughorn yet?"

"I did; he seemed apprehensive but once I explained the situation he was more receptive to the idea." Blaise laid back against the grass with an arm beneath his head. "He said he would consider placing us with our mates."

"I mean if nothing else, you still have the Slug Club. You'll always see her there," Draco offered, leaning back on his elbows.

A group of girls slowly walked by, giggling at the two boys as they did and whispering to each other. Normally Draco would love the attention, but now he just ignored it, focusing on his mate. She seemed to have noticed their presence, and Draco felt her previous calm ripple with a mixture of curiosity and slight annoyance.

"Is that Zabini and Malfoy over there?" Ginny asked, sitting down next to Hermione on the blanket.

Hermione nodded, groaning slightly. "Have you noticed the two of them always seem to be around us in their time off?"

Ginny shrugged. "I haven't been paying attention honestly. Though I will say, they look good."

Hermione looked over at Ginny, raising an eyebrow. "It's funny you say that. I happen to know that Mr. Zabini fancies you."

"I'm sorry, what?"

Blaise sat up immediately, his extended hearing picking up on the girls' conversation. He then looked over at Draco, growling. "You told her?!"

Draco returned the growl. "No, she managed to guess it! Besides, don't you want Ginny to know?"

"Yes, but I wanted to be the one to tell her!" Blaise groaned angrily.

He laid back down onto the grass, his hands over his eyes. Draco rolled his eyes and shook his head, looking back over at the girls. Blaise could be such a drama queen. If anything, he did Blaise a favor.