Ch. 8

Hermione said her goodbyes to everyone and stumbled out of the portrait hole, chastising herself for finishing that drink that Ginny had given her. It had much more vodka in it than her first drink. But she only had two, so she thought she was alright.

The walk to her dorm was longer than usual, though it could be because she was walking much slower, and with her eyes slightly out of focus she was having issues walking straight.

She could hear the screaming before she turned the corner. She panicked slightly, pulling out her wand and peeking her head around the corner to see someone standing at her portrait door, yelling profanities at an empty portrait.

Rolling her eyes as she recognized the voice, she put her wand in her back pocket and straightened up, trying to sober up a bit before turning the corner and making her way to her dorm.

"Pansy," She started coolly. "May I ask why you are outside the Head Dorm past curfew?"

Pansy glared at her. "Well if you must know, Granger, I'm here to see Draco. But your bloody portrait hole won't let me in!"

A touch of jealousy ran through her but she pushed it away. "Go back to your dorm, Pansy. It's late, and I'm sure Draco is probably asleep."

"Don't tell me what to do, Mudblood!" Pansy sneered. "Just because you don't have a boyfriend and never will doesn't mean you should prevent me from seeing mine!"

"Reverting back to name-calling, are we?" Hermione said angrily. "Five points from Slytherin."

"How dare you!" Pansy shrieked, pulling out her wand. "I should hex you right here! How dare you think you are above me!"

"Seeing as I'm Head Girl, Parkinson, I am above you," Hermione smirked. "Ten more points from Slytherin for threatening the Head Girl."

The portrait hole suddenly swung open and Draco looked between the two of them before growling at Pansy. "Pansy, leave."

"But Draco, I was just wanting to see you!" She immediately dropped her wand to her side and batted her eyelashes at him, giving him what she must have thought to be her sweetest, flirty smile. "And this Mudblood here was preventing me! Now come on, love, let me in so we can spend some time together!"

Hermione felt another pang of jealousy shoot through her, but she looked at Draco and immediately saw the anger in his eyes. As she took a step backwards from fear, Draco suddenly looked at her as she did and he seemed to calm down, taking in a deep breath before rounding on Pansy. "Do not call Hermione that ever again. And I have told you, on more than one occasion, that I am not interested in you. Now go back to your dorm before I tell the headmistress you were out after curfew."

Pansy looked taken aback, but she turned away after giving Hermione a glare and stalked down the corridor.

Hermione knew Draco was looking at her before she even turned back to him. They silently looked at each other for a few moments before Draco moved slightly away from the portrait hole for Hermione to get through.

She tried to hide the fact that she had been drinking, but as she stepped through the portrait hole, her foot caught on the bottom frame and she went flying forward. She prepared herself to hit the ground but instead she found herself landing against Draco's chest, his arms wrapping around her and preventing her from landing on the floor. Her hands were on his chest, and even though she should have felt trapped, she felt...safe.

He slowly helped her straighten up but didn't remove his arms when she was properly on her feet again. He felt his Veela practically soar when he felt comfort radiating off of her, knowing that he was the cause of it. This made him happy, the happiest he had been in a while, and he couldn't hide the smile it gave him.