Ch. 32

Hermione grew anxious as the ball grew closer. She was worried about finding the perfect dress for her costume, but she was more worried about the fact that her and Draco still hadn't decided what they wanted to go dressed up as. They eventually nixed the Phantom of the Opera, since Hermione couldn't decide which dress from the musical to go with, and she was at a loss. It was Wednesday afternoon, and after their final class she pulled Ginny away from the crowd.

"What's wrong?" Ginny asked, sending her friend's nervousness.

"I just need some girl time away from the two boys," Hermione said simply as she pulled her friend towards the Astronomy tower.

Ginny laughed. "I have been thinking the same thing. I can't remember the last time it was just the two of us, without them."

"Exactly. I love Draco and everything, but I just need to get away from him for a little bit," The brunette sighed. "Plus, I need your help with something."

"Uh oh," Ginny replied.

"No don't worry, nothing bad," Hermione said reassuringly.

They walked up the Grand Staircase, ascending further while other students would trail off to their other classes or pass by them to leave for their dorms. They finally entered the tower through the large doors and made their way over to the railing, sitting down next to each other and dangling their feet over the edge.

"So what do you need help with?" Ginny asked, leaning her forearms against the railing in front of her.

Hermione sighed. "I cannot for the life of me decide what costume to go with for the ball."

"Oh Merlin, is that all?" Ginny laughed with relief and relaxed. "I was worried that you were going to tell me something happened and that I needed to hex someone!"

The two girls laughed and Hermione shook her head. "I'm sorry to disappoint; we'll save that for another time."

"So tell me which ones you are trying to decide between," Ginny said as she nudged her friend.

Draco paced worriedly in the Head Dorm. Hermione hadn't come back from classes and he couldn't feel her presence. It had been almost thirty minutes since her last class was over. Ginny hadn't shown up either, and normally on Wednesdays they would come back from their shared class together.

Blaise suddenly burst through his dorm's portrait, looking around wildly. "Has Ginny come back yet?"

Draco shook his head and knew that Blaise was worrying just as much as he was. "I haven't heard anything from Hermione. Do you think...?"

He took a deep breath after Blaise tilted his head slightly and whined. "I desperately hope not. Maybe we need to go look for them."

"I think it's more of a 'we should'." Draco grabbed his wand as Blaise summoned his own, and they stepped out of the portrait.

They stood there for a few moments as they looked around, trying to catch a whiff of their mates' scents before walking quickly down the corridor towards the staircase. Both boys were trying to hold themselves back, knowing that if their mates were in trouble then they would need their strength to save the girls.

Draco couldn't help but feel ridiculous at how much he knew his Veela was overreacting. He knew in the back of his mind that both girls were capable of defending themselves, but at the same time it was his job to make sure that his mate was safe. Pansy's threat entered his mind and he growled. If Pansy had anything to do with this....