Ch. 16

Hermione woke up slowly with a surprising weight on her stomach. Looking down and waiting for her vision to focus, she realized the weight was the new black cat, Salazar. She smiled to herself as she reached down to scratch him gently behind the ears, her thoughts wandering to Draco.

She had certainly grown attached to him over the past two and a half weeks of them being at school. It was a rather quick time to start liking someone in her opinion, but she couldn't help the attraction that she had. She groaned and pulled a pillow over her face, yelling quietly into it as she realized and started to accept that she really did like him, since she was able to get jealous about him talking to other girls. And it was different than it was with Ron and Lavender; she didn't want to run away and wait for Draco come to his senses if he really did like another girl like she had waited for Ron.

Sitting up suddenly at that realization, she ran a hand through her hair and stared at her bedroom door. She wasn't sure if she liked this, this sudden feeling of vulnerability. He must have known that she started having feelings for him; after all, he called her out on her jealous over Pansy and practically knew she was jealous over him talking to Ginny. But the feelings of jealousy were so unlike her, and that's what struck her as odd.

As she slowly dressed, she thought about Draco more. Did he return her feelings? He had pretty much started to spend all of his free time around her after the last Saturday when the four of them first hung out after Ginny's break up. She didn't fail to notice that he was definitely sitting close to her whenever he could and would walk with her to all of the meals if he had the chance to. He had to have liked her. Right?

But there was still a nagging thought in the back of her mind, telling her that she was overthinking his actions as she wrangled her mess of hair into a bun. She had decided on another large jumper that hung off one of her shoulders with a black tank top underneath and black capri leggings. It was Sunday after all, she didn't think she would be leaving the Head dorm and wanted to be comfortable.

Sighing, she looked at herself in the mirror, putting her hands on the counter and leaning forward slightly while she thought. How could he even possibly like her though? She wasn't attractive in the normal sense; granted, she had started to put a little more of an effort into her routine so that it looked like she made an effort on herself. But she wasn't naturally pretty like Ginny, or the other girls at school. There was no way that Draco, the man who practically had women drooling over him, would like her.

She straightened up, turning away from her reflection sadly and then she froze with her hand on the bedroom door handle as the realization. The thought of Draco not liking her in return upset her.

A knock on the door startled her and she took a deep breath, making sure that her face didn't betray her thoughts as she opened the door.

Draco was standing there, a slightly worried look on his face. But the worry melted away almost as soon as he saw her and he smiled at her. "I was starting to think you weren't coming out."

She smiled slightly in return and replied, "Sorry, I got lost in my thoughts."

Moving past him slightly to get to the small kitchen for coffee, she heard him follow behind her. "Sickle for your thoughts?"

Shaking her head at him, she poured a cup of coffee and said, "It's nothing, just a thought that had occurred to me this morning."

"I highly doubt that any thought you have could be nothing," He replied.

She smiled again, with him returning the smile as they sat there in a comfortable silence. The only sounds were the little pitter-pats of the kitten running around, chasing the older cat. Hermione giggled at them and Draco scowled.