Ch. 11

Ginny sobbed into Hermione's shoulder as they sat in the small clearing by the Shrieking Shack. Hermione had managed to quickly find her, holding her friend close and whispering that it was going to be okay.

The red head eventually quieted down, keeping her head on Hermione's shoulder as she said, "I can't believe he did it there. Everyone heard it."

"To be honest, everyone was watching as soon as they came in," Hermione said. "I can't believe his reasoning though."

"It's ridiculous. But he used that reasoning all summer when he would try to start fights." Ginny sat up and wiped her eyes angrily before looking at her hands and groaning frustratedly. "Dammit, and of course I'm not wearing waterproof mascara."

They laughed slightly at that while Ginny tried desperately to wipe her face off while choking on another laugh. "I probably look like a mess."

"You were just broken up with," Hermione said gently. "It's alright to look like a mess."

Ginny sighed and shook her head, looking down at her hands in her lap. "Honestly, I was kind of expecting that to happen today."

Hermione looked over at her friend, grimacing. "You did say you two were fighting a lot during the summer."

Nodding, Ginny went on. "And he only sent the one letter. I guess the main reason I'm mad is because...well...it was six years. I spent so long waiting for him. I can't get that time back now."

Hermione wrapped an arm around her friend, giving her a squeeze. "I understand. The only thing you can really do is spend a few days grieving and then move on. Besides, Harry might come around."

"You heard me in the bar, Hermione," Ginny said, leaning away to look at her friend. "I'm not going back to him. I meant what I said."

"No, I know. Don't go back to someone who doesn't understand how strong you are. But at least don't cut him out of your life completely. You two could still be friends," Hermione said before straightening her back. "Well, do you want to head back to the castle now? I think we can still catch lunch if we hurry."

They both stood up as Ginny wiped her face again and smiled at Hermione. "Thank you for grabbing my bags by the way."

"Of course!" Hermione said, smiling back.

As they were leaving the clearing, they ran into Draco and Blaise, who were secretly waiting for the girls to come into view so they could 'accidentally' run into them.

"Hey Hermione," Draco greeted, trying to catch their attention.

The girls turned, and Hermione smiled slightly. "Oh, hey Draco!"

Blaise was staring intently at Ginny, noticing the faint black tear stains running down her cheeks. He took an obviously labored breath and said, "Draco and I were just heading back to your dorm; would you two like to join us?"

Hermione raised an eyebrow then looked between him and Ginny. Ginny was trying to avoid his eyes, staring at the ground while Blaise was watching her intently, an almost frantically worried expression on his face.

Hermione sighed and put up a finger as a symbol for the guys to hold and grabbed Ginny's arm, rushing her a little way's away. "I think this might be good for you, spending time with new people."

"I don't know, 'Mione, this is too soon," Ginny said, uncertainty lacing her voice. "I mean, Harry and I just broke up."

"No, no; I don't mean as a date," Hermione stated quickly. "I mean, maybe this would be a nice distraction. I was going to offer you staying in my dorm anyway tonight, but this way we have more people to talk to. Draco really is nicer, and if Blaise is hanging around with him then he had to have changed too."