Ch. 14

The rest of the week practically flew by for Hermione. While she was still wanting to have Draco explain his actions from the previous week, she had found that it was no longer a priority and didn't even really bother her. She and Ginny had been spending a lot more time with Draco and Blaise, most of the time in the library at Hermione's insistence so she could finish her studies. The others didn't seem to mind though, as they were all able to talk about Quidditch while she did homework.

Draco was beside himself worrying, trying to figure out what to get Hermione for her birthday that Saturday. He wanted to make it special for her; she deserved it after all, and he had been unable to come up with anything. He didn't want to get the typical jewelry that Malfoys gave their significant others, but he wanted it to show that he had put thought into it.

It finally came to him on Thursday night and he bolted upright in bed when the idea hit him. He looked at the clock and groaned as he realized that it was too late for him to speak to the Headmistress about it, but he had to speak to her first-thing on Friday to put his plan together.

The next morning, he rushed out of bed and left a quick note for Hermione, letting her know that he had left early to run a few errands. They had started walking to breakfast together in the mornings, and he didn't want her to worry when he wasn't there.

"Ice Mice," He said between breaths at the base of the gargoyle statue.

The statue began to turn and he rushed up the stairs, rushing into the Headmistress's office. Professor McGonagall was sitting at her desk, going over some notes for her Transfiguration classes that day. She wasn't able to easily give up her class, after all. 

She looked up at him with a surprised expression as he entered before raising an eyebrow. "Good morning, Mister Malfoy. I must say, I am surprised to see you in my office this early. Could I inquire as to what brings you here?"

He caught his breath, straightening up and then smiling. "Headmistress, tomorrow is Hermione's birthday."

McGonagall waited for him to continue, huffing slightly when he didn't. "As wonderful of news as that is, I'm not sure why that particular piece of information would bring you to my office in such a rush on a Friday morning."

He faltered slightly before clearing his throat and nodding. "Right, my apologies. I was hoping that I could possibly have permission to make a quick trip to Diagon Alley tomorrow? I mean, thirty minutes tops."

The headmistress's mouth twitched. "I am assuming, Mister Malfoy, that based on your heritage and sudden interest in Miss Granger's birthday, that you have found your mate?"

Draco nodded happily. He watched in anticipation as McGonagall sighed and leaned back in her chair. "I suppose I can allow a quick trip. Though I suggest you use my fireplace to floo yourself there and back. You may only go for thirty minutes at the most."

"Oh thank you! Thank you, Headmistress!" Draco exclaimed.

He turned to leave before hearing her suddenly say, "Mister Malfoy!"

"Yes?" He asked, pausing and turning back to her.

"Is Miss Granger aware of the situation?"

His shoulders fell slightly as he looked down, rubbing the back of his neck. "Not yet. I don't want her to feel pressured into this. I want it to be as natural as possible for her and I'm still earning her trust."

"Could I ask what it is that you are going to gift her?"

"A cat." He smiled.

She nodded. "I will give you an extra fifteen minutes to your trip. Perhaps Miss Granger would like a few new books as well."