Ch. 18

Ginny waited somewhat impatiently at the bottom of the stairs that led up to her dorm. Blaise was late by about fifteen minutes, and she was starting to panic. Was he just tricking her for a laugh? She sighed in frustration and leaned against the railing as she looked around again.

Next to her on a wall, there was a portrait of a girl smiling quietly at the redhead. She managed to get Ginny's attention by asking, "Waiting for someone?"

Ginny looked up at the portrait and nodded after a few moments. "He was supposed to be here at noon, and it's fifteen past. I'm trying not to worry, but he is a Slytherin and we don't have the best history."

"Ah," The girl said knowingly. "I fell in love with a Slytherin back when I was alive. I understand your concern."

"You were a student here?" Ginny asked curiously.

The girl in the portrait nodded. "Many, many years ago. I was a Hufflepuff though, and our relationship was frowned upon since I was a half-blood."

"Yeah, everyone in his house calls me a blood traitor," Ginny said sadly. "Unfortunately, he called me one as well a few years ago. That's not helping my nerves right now."

"Don't lose hope, little Gryffindor," The girl smiled. "Slytherins are very good about keeping their word."

Almost on cue, Blaise turned the corner, panting slightly. He caught sight of Ginny and rushed over to her, putting his hands on his knees as he took deep breaths.

"I'm so sorry, Ginny," He started between breaths. "I got caught up by Peeves; he locked me in a cupboard."

Ginny laughed. "Oh, it's okay. I know how Peeves is. I'm just happy you showed up."

He straightened up and smiled at her. "Were you worried I wasn't going to?"

"I'll admit, the thought crossed my mind." She pushed herself off the railing and turned to the portrait to say, "Thank you for talking to me. Have a good day!"

The girl in the portrait waved at her, smiling. Ginny then turned to Blaise who gestured forward and they began walking through the castle. Blaise wanted so badly to take her hand but knew that she would either freak out or be self-conscious about the rest of the students seeing them together. He already noticed that she felt a bit uncomfortable with the stares they were getting.

He looked down at her, smiling slightly. She looked exceptionally beautiful today, even though she was dressed casually in a light grey jumper that showed her figure and dark jeans. The sleeves on her jumper seemed just a bit long for her as they nearly covered her hands, but he thought that only added to her cuteness.

She looked up at him then and a bit of color appeared on her cheeks. "What are you looking at?"

Shaking his head, he looked forward again and put his hands in his pockets. "Just thinking about how much I like that sweater on you. You look very beautiful today."

Her mouth hung open slightly but she shut it quickly, putting her head down slightly to hide her smile. He grinned as he felt a mixture of embarrassment and happiness radiate off of her, and he made a mental note to always compliment her on how she looked if that was how she was going to react.

She at first was unsettled by the amounts of looks that the two of them were getting as they walked through the castle together, but after a bit she ignored the looks and simply focused ahead of her. Soon enough they had made it through the castle and were heading towards the carriages.

He motioned for her to step in first, and he stepped up afterwards, sitting across from her. She smiled at him, realizing that they had walked that entire way in silence, and amazed that she didn't seem to mind. She never really had comfortable silences with Harry.