Ch. 21

Hermione knew as soon as Ginny sat down next to her in Potions that something had gone wrong. She had come in late without Blaise, muttering a quick excuse to Professor Slughorn before avoiding everyone's eyes and sitting down quietly.

She was able to join Hermione and Draco for their potion since Blaise hadn't come to the class, but Draco didn't say anything about his friend's noticeable absence and the group worked in silence. But as soon as Draco left to get more ingredients, Hermione immediately asked, "What happened?"

"Did you know Blaise was a Veela?" Ginny asked her almost accusingly.

Hermione was caught off guard by Ginny snapping and she blinked before saying, "I had my suspicions after talking to Draco but I couldn't be sure. And even if he was, it wouldn't have been my place to tell you."

"So you lied to me at breakfast?" Ginny went on, her anger growing.

"Ginny, whatever anger you have at Blaise, please don't direct it at me," Hermione said quietly. "I didn't want to lie to you, and you should know that I wouldn't unless I felt it was necessary, and in this case I did. I'm sorry but it truly would not have been my place to tell you."

Ginny took a deep breath and processed her friend's words. Then she let out a frustrated sigh and dropped her head. "I'm sorry, Hermione, I'm just very confused right now. This was a huge bomb that was dropped on me, and I don't know what to do."

Hermione reached over to put a hand on Ginny's arm. "Do whatever makes you happy. That's all that Blaise wants for you."

Draco then came back with the needed ingredients, ending their conversation. Hermione gave him a grateful glance, knowing that he had held off coming back until Hermione had finished talking to Ginny. They continued brewing their potion in silence, and it didn't go unnoticed that Ginny kept looking back towards the door to see if Blaise was going to come walking through it.

Draco was starting to become distressed on Blaise's behalf. It had been four days since he had told Ginny the truth, and she still had not said a word to him. He missed the four of them spending time together and because Hermione was helping Ginny research Veelas, he rarely got to see his mate.

Blaise had become distraught. He barely spoke a word and stopped showing up to classes. Draco worried about him, trying to coax him out of his dorm unsuccessfully every day.

Friday morning, he knocked on Blaise's door again. "Blaise, come on. It's Friday, you need to come out today at least. I can't keep making excuses for you in classes, mate."

There was silence, and then the sound of a glass breaking. Draco immediately rushed in, searching the room for his friend. When he ran to the other side of the bed, he found Blaise convulsing on the floor, his eyes rolled back into his head.

"Fuck!" Draco yelled. He grabbed his wand and pointed it at Blaise. "Immobulus!"

Blaise immediately froze and Draco was able to levitate him out of the dorm, rushing him to the Hospital Wing. "Madam Pomfrey!"

The Matron quickly ran out of her office, gasping when she saw Blaise. "What happened to him? Here, set him on this bed!"

Draco levitated his friend onto the nearby empty bed and explained, "I went to get him from his dorm and I found him convulsing on the floor. I used the immobulus charm on him."

Madam Pomfrey nodded and began to run some tests on him. "The Headmistress has informed me of both his and your heritages; has he found his mate?"

Draco nodded sadly. "They haven't talked since Monday though, after he told her about him. She didn't seem to take it well."