Chapter 22

It was the next day at the cabin, I could tell Jake wasn't all that happy about the wolf dying. But I guess we both wanted to move on from it too and enjoy our time here. I mean we came here for a reason, not this reason, but still we both came here to make this a memorable time for us. Wow what a memory...fuck even I still dwell on it...need to stop. If you've noticed I have sworn more than I ever have in my life. This is thanks to Jake opening me and letting my inhibitions out. Not directly, but he has on his own helped me. Or I was just a potty mouth belligerent bitch and I am just using him as an excuse in a way...or just it's true. My self-conscious side met this new side, they had a fight...like a 12 round boxing match....it was a close match by the way. We fought all the way to the end I'll tell you...and my new side one. But, my reserved side still makes an appearance...why? Well I don't think people would just accept this side too quickly. It will draw attention, maybe the wrong kind, so sometimes I have to tread carefully alongside some people. It's not acting...it's just me being careful how I present myself.

Anyways, I went on a ramble there. Jake and I had said our good mornings to each other and we both had a shower. We were a bit quiet during breakfast as we had some bacon and eggs courtesy of chef Jake. We really didn't want this to bother us but the more we didn't want it to bother us the more it actually did in a funny way. I could tell by the look on Jake's face he wanted to talk...and we did exchange a few small words. He wasn't angry at me or anything like that. Jake was a reasonable person. But after he washed the dishes and I finished my tea and he finished his coffee I kind of wondered well....what are we going to do now? I mean it was a bit quiet, even too quiet.

When Jake finished his coffee and I had come out of the bathroom, he surprised me by throwing a bag at my feet, it had some stuff in it.

I looked at it. "What is it?"

"Open it" he told me and I did.

When I peered inside I saw some ropes and these things that looked like hatchets, thin ones. There were a few pads and a helmet and it finally hit me. I knew what this was and I looked up at him. "Mountain gear!" I was surprised.

He nodded. "Your basic starter kit, though the hatchets will be for another day. I want you to use your hands today so you have a good feeling with them."

"I don't know" I wasn't sure. I was having a bit of a sense of fear. I was all gong ho about it but now....I kind started to double guess about it. But maybe I would rather do this than to sit around here and sulk or not talk.

He came up to me. "Don't worry, I'll be with you all the way. Plus, we'll start off very slow and climb low."

"Well....."I kind of hesitated.

"Listen if you don't want to...."

I grabbed the bag and slung it over my shoulder. Fuck it, I made a commitment, I am gonna keep it. "Let's do it." I told him.

"You sure?" he asked. "I mean I am not trying to pressure you and you don't' have to feel that you need to impress me."

"Let's do it...NOW!"I commanded him. "Before I change my mind."

"Ok" he grabbed his bag too. "Let's do this then" and he could see from the look on my face I was quite serious. I wanted to do this.

We went out and got into the car. We'd have to drive over as it was way too far to make the walk. There was a second dirt road next to the one we took coming to the cabin and Jake took it and we drove on it. "You're gonna love it" he told me. "It's fun."

"I believe you" I told him as we drove over.

"Just take it slow" he told me. "Trust me, my first time climbing, I barely went too high."