Prologue

Ashley

The first disaster was a joke.

This whole thing is a joke! They probably see it as a joke! We didn't know it at first, that they were watching us for a while. I'd be darn if they weren't watching me now. The memory was so vivid in my mind that it started to take place in front of me. The gray sky started to change to black storm clouds, the swirling funnel spun faster and faster. I started to cry seeing the illusion taking form again. My mother running away just as it touched the ground. Her hand stretched out and I slowly reached out, choking on tears.

She screamed but the roaring of the tornado drowned her out, it sucked her up before swallowing her. A limp body came flying out a few seconds later, fear flooded through me and I started to run towards the unrealistic body. Just reliving the moment only made my heart clench more.

"Mom!" I yelled out, I fell to the ground crying. My eyes were shut tightly and I held myself, tears streaming. Her last words burned in my brain, You are so much more powerful than this storm, don't give up like I did.

My brother Jacob left later that week, his words stung the most. We had gotten into a huge fight that left him leaving the group. He never wanted to talk to me again. I didn't really think he meant it until he left. The feeling of him gone only left me feeling less secure.

Father died the very next day. We had been walking next to a steep mountain a short cut he had said. His smile had always reassured me and I stopped shaking. The earth shook making the mountain we were standing next to start to crumple. My father's arms shoved me away just as rocks soared to the ground. I love you, Ashley. I know you can deal with this. You no longer need me, were his final resting words. The dust and rocks crushed his body and I had witnessed the whole scene. What right gives him to just say that!? I can barely feed myself, much less take on this.

A rustle came from the bushes in front of me and my eyes snapped open. My breathing stopped momentarily before I spoke in a hushed voice, "Beanie?!" Slowly getting up a large creature limped out. It's sad eyes faced me while it whined, it wasn't Beanie. The German Shepherd collar read Pepper, as I knelt beside it.

"Pepper huh?" I laughed as the dog kissed my face, "Aren't you a sweet boy." I slowly stood up and rubbed his head, "Here, I'll help you."

Another rustle came from my right and I quickly turned only to hear a gunshot. My arm started bleeding out and all I did was look at it and I started to feel light headed.

"Oh my gosh!" I voice rang in my ear but I couldn't hold my focus. I'm bleeding! I'm not ready to die! I was probably being a little dramatic but it didn't matter now. My eyes closed as I fell before I disappeared into the darkness.