Chapter 5

Noah

     Wind stung my face as I ran through the woods. Dead leaves crunched under my feet under my feet, just like my heart. My lungs gasped for air while my heart was clenched together. I didn't want anything to hurt Ashley especially my kind. She didn't deserve any of this. A scream erupted from nowhere and echoed throughout the forest. Pepper slid to a halt and so did I. Exhaustion took hold of me and I leaned against a free branch. The branch lowered against my weight and I jumped back in surprise. 

     "Holy strike," I mumbled, staring at the tree. The trunk of the tree slid open revealing a secret passage. Suddenly Pepper lifted his paw, pawing at the door. He whined looking at me before slipping inside. 

     "Pepper! Wait!" I hissed but he ignored me and went inside. The door started to slide close and I panic. If I don't go in he might never come back out. Groaning I slid inside and watched as the door slammed shut. I cautiously stepped down the stairs not wanting my feet to echo of the metal walls. 

     The sound of growling filled the stairs and I instantly knew it was Pepper. I quickly rushed down the stairs only to face an unconscious Ashley. I placed a hand on her face, "Ashley can you hear me?" She continued to lay there, silently. Hushed voices caught my attention and I slowly got up. Pepper was now by my side and I pointed for him to watch Ashley. Tip toeing to the corner I watched as a pair of people stood talking. 

     A male that resembled like Ashley frowned at the two, "Dude! I still don't understand why you knocked out my sister."

     "Hey! I wasn't going to take any chances. This is our base and you should have told me you were bring her. We are literally on enemy territory," A short boy next to him said. 

     I was so focused on the conversation that I didn't noticed a hand was on my back. Their voice was covered in venom, "Hands up and walk forward. If you don't I'll shoot." 

     How did I not see this girl in the room with me? Following her orders I stepped forward revealing myself. Hands were raised and the pair turned to look at me. Confusion passed their faces at first but they quickly recovered by pointing their guns at me. I instantly knew I couldn't blast them especially with the girl behind me. 

     Ashley's brother stepped forward, gun still raised, asked, "State your name, age and what the heck you are doing here or I'll pull this trigger and watch your brains-"

     "My name is Noah. I'm 17 years old and I was looking for Ashley. Who I see is laying on the floor in front of the entrance," I interrupted him. A suspicions look passed his face and he looked me up or down before nodding to the girl behind me. "Where exactly did you meet Ashley, Noah?"

      Saying that I accidentally shot her probably wasn't the best idea. Instead I said, "I rescued her from the woods but then they took her away. I came back to rescue her once again." Ashley's brother lowered his gun and the other boy did too. I looked at the other boy who still had his gun raised, his dark brown eyes stared straight into my soul. 

     "Lower the gun, Ethan," His tone was threatening but Ethan continued to hold it up. Slowly he lowered it before swapping his dark brown hair out of his eyes. 

     The girl behind me stepped out, her gray eyes darted between me and him. "You trust what his says?! You can't read minds, Jacob. For all we know he could be a soldier of theirs."

     Jacob let of a frustrated sigh before facing her, "When Ashley wakes up we will ask her. She mentioned him earlier and so far what he said has been true. Just stand down, Courtney."

     "Speak of the devil," Courtney smirked as Ashley groaned. Her black hair was messy while she rubbed her eyes. She stood just a few feet away from the group. Pepper barked and licked her free hand. 

     "Pepper? What are you..." Her eyes widened while I smiled at her. She's here and okay. Ashley is okay. Her eyes flicked between Jacob and me but she didn't a return a smile. Instead she frowned her green eyes narrowed as she looked straight at me. "How did you?! I should have known. I can't believe you little son- UGH! I don't want to talk with you.... just," She rested her head against a wall before slamming her fist into it. "Sorry."

     My eyebrows knitted together confused. I understood she was angry with me but I didn't think she'd be this angry. I wanted to reach out to her and make her feel safe again but I didn't. She need space.

     "Can I shoot him now?" 

     I faced Courtney and glare at her, "Whats you deal with trying to kill me?"

     "No. Let him go." Jacob lowered Courtney's gun. She let out a growl but turned away. They left me alone with just Ashley. She slide to the floor while Pepper sat next to her. Ashley smiled at him but not me. Great. My dog is being a better companion then I. I sensed someone still in the room and saw Jacob watching me. I glanced at him and he narrowed his eyes but quickly spun around and walked off. "Ashley-"

     "Why?"

     I tilted my head still standing a few feet away from her. Why what? "Huh?"

     "Why?! Why did you let that guy come?! Why are you betraying your own kind? Why didn't you tell me who you were?! I.. trusted you," She started to cry and buried her face into Pepper. "She mumbled something into his fur but I couldn't make it out. Pepper looked at me with a face. Almost like he was mad at me too. I slowly walked over and bent down next to her. "Ashley I-," I placed a hand on her arm. The bandage I had placed on there a day ago was stained with dry blood. It need to be changed.

     Her face was lined with tears and a few dog hairs. Her eyes were red from crying but that didn't stop her. She yanked her arm away from me and stood up. "I don't want to hear your excuses and secrets. Besides its not like I'm going to tell you my darkest secret." 

     "Ashley, I'm sorry," I apologized but she just closed her eyes before walking down the hallway to the others.