Chapter 8

Ethan

     I lifted my head feeling the soil stuck on my face. I clenched the soil in my hand, determination on my face while angry consumed my soul. "He's one of them." Slowly getting to my feet I noticed that the others were gone. 

     They've got to be in the hideout but why did they leave me? The sun was starting to rise because I could finally see what was in front of me. I jumped over a fallen log before reaching the tree. Opening it I ran down the stairs only to see Jacob and Courtney passed out next to the wall. Where are the other two?

     "Ashley?" I called out as I walked down the hallway to the common room. A figure sat on a couch waiting and turned to face me as I entered. My blood ran cold and I was quite sure he could tell too. 

     "It's nice to see you Ethan but that's not why I am here," He sneered and pulled out his gun. I was too scared to move. How did Oliver get in here? I closed my eyes waiting but a bolt of lightening struck the painting next to Oliver. 

     Noah cursed but Oliver went down as he zapped him again. Rips covered his clothes along with a large cut on his face. "Look I zapped most of the soldiers outside but Oliver is going to wake up soon so we have to leave now," He face showed he was scared which surprised me. 

     I shook my head, "But this is our home! I can't just leave." I looked behind him expecting Ashley to be right behind him but she wasn't. "Where's Ashley?"

     "She's packing up for you guys. The others should be up soon," He answered, his eyes fluttered close like he was extremely fed up with all of this. 

     "You!" Courtney yelled from down the hallway, Jacob right on her tail. "You almost killed me!"

     Ashley emerged from a room and rushed over, "I heard yelling what's going on?" 

     "Nothing lets just move," Noah started to walk off while Ashley went back into the room. I looked at the two of them before heading towards Ashley. She stood shoving a few more things into the bag before zipping it up. 

     "Here let me help you with that," I grabbed the bag and zipped it up then slung it around my shoulders. I grabbed a few more and left two for her. 

     She tilted her head in confusion like she couldn't believe I just helped her, "What are you doing?" 

     I smiled a toothy grin, "Just helping you like a man should." She rolled her eyes and stepped out of the room. 

     Noah called out from in front of the exit, "Guys! We better get moving. Oliver might wake up soon and try to kill us all." Ashley and I arrived just as they headed up the stairs. We handed out the book bags one by one until every single person had one. Jacob checked to make sure everyone was accounted for before we headed out.  

     Pepper was the first to bound out and into the woods. He sniffed every tree and flower as we walked out. The sky was swirling with a mixture of reds, oranges and yellows. The night sky was being pushed away to allow the sun its turn. Sunrises were the second prettiest thing, the first was Ashley. Speaking of Ashley she stood next to Noah and it looked like they we in a deep conversation. I hope it wasn't about planning a wedding. I wouldn't be able to handle the rejection. 

     Jacob walked alone, his hands were gripping the bag straps tightly. Casually walking towards I started to talk to him, "So uh Jacob. I was kind of wondering if you could maybe talk with Ashley. Maybe break her heart with Noah because your sister is like really-"

     Jacob held up a hand staring straight in my face, "No." He then proceed with a smile after that. "Besides I think the two of them would make a great couple, don't you agree Courtney?" Courtney perked up at the mention of her name. 

     She slid over to us, "What am I agreeing to? If it involves breaking Ethan heart than I totally agree." 

     "I have feelings you know?!"

     "Yeah and I love to crush your feelings and dreams," She flipped her blonde hair and walked off. 

     "That was totally unnecessary," I called to her but she only stuck her tongue at us in reply. Rolling my eyes I looked at Jacob, "Where exactly did you find her?"

     Jacob thought for a moment, "I think in a local shop market. To be honest does it really matter?" 

     I nodded my head rapidly, "You should have left her there. Let his kind find her not you." 

     Noah suddenly stopped and study the trees. He looked at us, panic crossed his face. He motioned for us to move, "Oliver is waking up! We've got to move now!" 

     "How do you know that? Can you see people if you think of them?" Courtney asked looking at Noah strangely. 

     Noah shrugged, "I don't know. It's just one of the perks of being one of them I guess." 

      "Could you just say what you are instead of using them. It's starting to get annoying," I whined, the thought of one of them using them is very strange. Everyone stood in a huge circle their faces masked with either angry or tiredness. 

     Courtney glared at Noah, her finger pointed accusingly at him, "Them is something that tried to kill us. For all we know he could be leading us to a trap. He probably told Oliver that we were hiding out here." Noah placed his hands on his face, closing his eyes. 

     "If he wanted to kill us he would have killed me and you a long time ago," Ashley sneered, her hands clenching together into fist. 

     Jacob jaw clenched together before he yelled at the two of them, "Just shut up! Noah said Oliver is awake and we need to move. So we are going to move. You up there with Noah," He pointed to Ashley before scrolling at Courtney. "And you in the back." The two girls stomped off, silence filling the air again. 

     Just as Ashley reached the front the bushes rustled and Oliver jumped out. Ashley stumbled as she was pulled away, Pepper barked loudly and chased after them. Noah not having it ran after her the rest of us not far behind.