Chapter 1

Ashley

I sat up breathing heavy only to fall back against the bed. I groaned gripping my head, its to bright. "Ugh... I forgot to close the blinds again," My voice sounded raspy and dry. I licked my lips from the lack of water. I reached for my phone but realized my bed stand wasn't there. "What the-"

"Again, I am so sorry," A voice said breaking the silence. I jumped and widen my eyes at the stranger. The tall handsome boy emerged from the door holding a glass of water. My mouth screamed wanting the water. My eyes stared at it hungrily, my fingers inched towards it but I grabbed the bed sheets instead. I swallowed before flushing in embarrassment.

His brown eyes met mine and he quickly recovered. "I.. uh brought this for you. It's the least I could do for shooting you. Again apologize," He quickly walked over but I backed away and up the bed post. He stopped, staring at my frightened behavior.

"Who are... you?! Nevermind... just I'm leaving. Just... your debt is paid," I rambled and got up. My bag sat on the ground and I went to pick it up. His hand grabbed my arm and I tensed up.

"I uh... sorry. I'm Noah Crescent," He answered and held the water out. My eyes flickered from the water to him. He probably poisoned it but if he wanted to kill me than he would have definitely done it back in the woods. I slowly take the water and start gulping it down, not even leaving a drop.

When I finished he smiled taking the glass from me. I wipe my mouth with my hand and narrow my eyes at him, "What?"

He chuckled slightly, "I thought you were them," He waited then motioned with his hands. "You know, the thing that started it all."

I rolled my eyes, "No duh Sherlock. You kept me alive because I guess you thought I wasn't one."

"Are you one?" He started to back away.

"No! Are you?"

"No."

I picked up my bag and started walking past him, not caring, "Okay now that it is settled. I'm leaving now."

"Wait!" He ran over just as I made it down the hallway. I turned around and he grabbed my bandage arm making me wince, "Ah! Sorry."

"What?" He was really starting to get on my nerves, mostly because he had shot me.

He scratched the back on his head, his brown hair ruffled up when he brought his hand down. Gosh I wish he'd stop. He was making it extremely hard for me to hate him.

"What's your name? I told you mine, it only seems fair."

I hesitated. Well it wasn't like I was going to see him again, "Ashley."

"Hi, Ashley. Where are you going? I'd like to come too. I don't care where but its not like I need the house anymore."

I blinked and looked at the family photos that hung in the hallway. I saw a family photo of him with his family. I stared at him, "I'm going to a shelter. You just going to give up the house just like that?"

"What do I have to lose?" He shrugged but a knock was heard from downstairs. Noah tensed up and began to shove me away from the stairs. "Hide!" He hissed and began jogging down the steps.

What?! Obeying I ran into the bathroom and slammed the door. I couched down but a piece of wood was broken off revealing the floor below. I watched as Noah regained his composure and opened the door. A shadow of the man laid across the floor but I couldn't see the man itself.

Noah face remain neutral, "No. There is no one here."

The man didn't seem convinced with Noah's answer, "Are you sure?"

"I think I'd know if someone was in my house, sir," Noah replied, a hint of annoyance in his voice. I smirked as I heard the man grunt and the door was slammed on his face. Noah slowly walked back up the stairs and before long he was in the hallway. "Ashley?"

I opened the door on his smiling face and I stepped out the bathroom. I tilted my head and nodded to downstairs, "So who was that guy? He seems pretty important if you ask me."

He laughed nervously and walked to the stairs, "He's no one. How about dinner? Does Mac and Cheese sound good to you? Sounds good to me."

My stomach growled from the lack of food but I wasn't going to let that persuade my opinion, "Stop avoiding the question!" I stepped in front of him before sighing. "If you want to become... friends... then we have to start with no secrets."

"Then I guess we won't become friends. How about you tell me your darkness secret," He smirked and walked past me, his shoulder bumped mine. I scolded at myself.

"Fine! Keep your secret!" I shouted down at him before slowly following him. I really didn't want to be alone. He ignored what I said and started to make the Mac and Cheese in the microwave. He probably thinks it just because I'm hungry and if I eat then I'd lose my attitude.

He bowed and presented the food, "Dinner m'lady."

I took the cup and stared at the cheeses goodness before digging in. It left a warm feeling in me and I stared at him, "You know this is the way to a women's heart, right?"

"Of course," He laughed as he sat across from me at the kitchen table. I stared at the back window seeing an old swing set that was now covered in rust. A old doghouse sat near the drive way with a pen around it.

I turned to face him, "Where's Pepper?" The thought was nagging me now, more than ever.

"Oh he's out back."

"He reminds me of my dog, Beanie. She's a Lab of course," I started, the memory made me frown and I got up. "I'd better get going."

"Then let me come with you. It's not good being by yourself."

I stared at him with sad eyes, "You've manage just fine by yourself and I don't want to lose someone else. I'm bad luck, Noah."

Noah stepped near me and smiled, "So am I. If we stick together than our bad luck will cancel out. Negative plus negative equals positive."

I smiled trying to hold back my laugh, "Goodbye, Noah." And just like that I was out the door.