Chapter 18

Ashley

     Right when Noah left, I changed into regular clothes. The last thing I need is wearing pajamas while on the run. Just as I stuffed a few other things into my bag the door creaked open once more. "Noah, is that you? Drake?"

     The door creaked wide open and I grabbed my bag defenselessly, ready to swing. A hand my arm and pulled me against them. I struggled trying to get away just as the lights flickered on. Noah gave a disapproving look at the attacker while Courtney smirked at me, "Eve, let her go."

     Eve released me and handed me my stuff. Acting like nothing has happened the past couple of days. I gratefully accepted it and moved away from her. I walked up to the others and whispered, "What is she doing here?"

     Courtney looked down at me, "She's joining us now, Princess whether we like it or not. Your boyfriend said she could."

     I gave Noah a look of conformation to this and he shrugged. "You can't be serious."

     "We'll take about this later. We should get moving," Noah said, avoiding the topic. Our footsteps echoed off the tiled floors whether we walked or ran. Luckily the exit wasn't too far from Ashley's bedroom. Once we reached the entrance Noah looked at us. "Everyone buddy up. The hole isn't big enough for all of us. Ethan you're with me."

     Grabbing Jacob first, we started to shrunk. "Thanks for not giving up on me."

     "I knew the only way to break the spell was a true loves kiss. Maybe the movies aren't wrong after all," he laughed but avoided eye contact with me.

     "Is everything okay?" I asked concerned. We started to grow bigger, the darkness outside making it hard for me to read his face now.

     "Yeah. Everything okay. I'm just tried of running from all of this."

     We climbed out and stood waiting for everyone else. I felt something bump my leg as Noah and Ethan were climbing out. An unfamiliar dog rubbed against me while a transparent Pepper stood beside her.

     "Hey Snoozy. Pepper." Noah engulfed them into a huge hug. A spotlights shined down on us, blinding us.

     Eve went pale, "They found us. We've got to run!"

     We run into the trees for cover. The spotlight was lost in the trees but a helicopter took its place. The trees danced in the wind while leaves rain down unto us. "Where ever you are taking us, Eve! Now would be a great time to tell us!" I shouted over the noise.

     "My hideout! We'll take the underground route." She pushed aside some leaves revealing a hidden door made of grass. Noah and Eve lift the door with ease and ushers us in. Ethan and Jacob were the first in just as the noise stopped. "They're getting out of the helicopter! Go faster."

     The door slammed shut as all of us were in. The ladder was slightly rusty and the darkness didn't helps us move any faster.

     "Ow. Get off my face!" Eve yelped.

      "Move then!"

     "Not you, Court. Ashley move your foot!"

     I looked down and sheepishly moved my foot, "Sorry."

     An alarm beeped in the distance and everyone froze. "We'll find you and your little crew too!"

     "They're close. That means you all need to move faster!" Noah said and everyone started to pick up speed. A splash was heard telling us we had reached the bottom.

     "It's not so deep but I can barely see my hand. Anyone got a spare flashlight?" Ethan said to us.

     I jumped down and started to feel the water seep into my shoes and socks. "I'd rather not look at this water." I shuddered at the thought of green leaf water or worse sewer water. Eve pushed forward everyone and motioned for us to follow. Dragging my hand against the wall, the rough rock surface guide me safely through the dark.

     Clanking footsteps echoed through the tunnel along with voices. We all knew what that meant and started to pick up speed. The group stopped and I stood on my tip toes to see why. The tunnel ended and confusion washed over me. Eve placed her hand over the wall and whispered something. Light filled the tunnel as the wall revealed a hidden door. She smiled at us as we filed in. She waited to everyone was inside before closing it.

     I circled the room taking in the hideout. A living room with couches and board games stood front in center and a kitchen stood just ahead of it. The living room rounded of into a hallway with five opened doors revealing beds and bathrooms inside.

     Courtney plopped down onto one of the couches, happily, "Now this is the life."

     "That's the spirit, Court," Eve said as she rejoined us. "We may be here for a while. Chris doesn't give up easily."

     I turned to Noah, giving him a look. He stared confused before realizing what I wanted.

     "Right... As you can see Eve's with us now. After explaining quite a lot of useful information and a deal...," Noah coughed loudly glaring at her. She rolled her eyes before excusing herself to the kitchen.

     I watched her go before turning my attention back to him, "What sort of information are we talking about? And what deal is so important that you would accept it from the person who kidnapped and basically tried to kill me, remember?"

     "So far she's done more good than harm, princess. I mean look at the bright side. We are in here and they're out there."

     Courtney did have a point, but still did not excuse all of Eve's behavior.

     "The truth is the person that was in your head is still in you. They're just asleep, you could say," Jacob said.

     "But Eve's making the antidote!" Noah reassured me before I could freak out even more.

     I thought back to what Noah did to me and the feeling afterwards, "What about the true love's kiss?"

     "It's just a bunch of crap. It just a temporary side effect to allow the host, being you, to regain control. Makes the host think they won while in reality you're screwed."

     "Thanks Courtney. I feel so much better all ready."

     Eve emerged from the kitchen holding a glass of something. She handed off to me. "Drink up buttercup." I sniffed the drink and gagged. It smelled like rotten eggs and spoiled milk. "You might want to go into the bathroom before you drink it. I'd rather not have to clean up your vomit."

     She steered me to the bathroom and said, "Bottom's up."

     She shut the door and I stood there staring at the drink. "Bottom's up," I mumbled and started chugging it. Every last drop.