Chapter 7

Ashley

The secret door slammed shut behind us as we entered the woods. It was night but the gray clouds about us blocked the moon and the stars that were suppose to greet us. The crickets music sung in the night's air and made me feel calm. Noah ran ahead while Pepper stayed right beside me. "Noah! Wait!" I stumbled over a root before running to catch up. I run beside him, the night air stung my face while the cold air burned my lungs. "Where are we going?"

Noah slowed to a walk and turned to look at me, "Back to where it is safe. Those guys can't be trusted."

I frowned and stop, so did he. "You know that one of those guys is my brother?" I looked back to where we came and faced him again. He looked at me with sad eyes. "He's the only family I have left, Noah. I don't want to leave him again."

A voice rose through the woods screaming so loud even the crickets stopped playing there tunes, "I will find you!"

I clenched my jaw and looked back the way we came, "I don't care what happens to me. I am not leaving my brother." My gaze set in stone and Noah nodded.

"Okay but please convince him and that strange girl not to kill me. I'm pretty sure they hate me," He laughed nervously and Pepper wagged his tail. I laughed and nodded also. He stepped closer looking straight at me, "Thank you for giving me another chance. I promise not let you down."

My cheeks redden slightly and I laughed nervously, my foot digging into the ground, "Your welcome. Just don't do anything stupid, okay?"

He raised his right hand, "I promise under the oath of Ash that I-" I punched his arm playfully and he laughed.

"But seriously don't harm my brother either. He doesn't always mean what he says and is just looking out for me. Once he gets to know you he'll get off you back," I looked at the ground then back up at him. "Can I tell him about your power? Just in case like he isn't surprised and doesn't kill you?"

He face went blank and he looked like he was hesitating. He ran a hand through his hair, "I suppose but just to warn him." I burst of light blinded my eyes just as Noah collapsed to the ground. I watched as a lightening bolt sailed towards a tree and broke a branch.

My eyes widened and I stood staring at Ethan's confused face, "I am so sorry." I looked from Noah to the branch to Ethan.

"Why did you do that?!"'

He tensed up before relaxing, "You're really pretty when you are mad." A was taken back by the response but shook it off. I glared at him just as Courtney showed up.

"He's not wrong," She shrugged. Ethan looked ready to attack her but she just pushed him aside.

"She's mine."

Courtney laughed, "As if. She's got lover boy which you just shot. Am I right?"

I blinked at her response but decided this wasn't the moment to be arguing about this. The bushes rustled as Jacob jumped through. "Ashley!" I burst of lightening struck them as Noah's hand shot out.

"No!" I screamed and pushed his hand aside. Jacob, Ethan and Courtney fell to the ground and I faced him with anger. "You killed them! I told you not to!"

He faced me, "They'll be okay. They'll be out for a few minutes. Just enough to let us escape." He grabbed my hand leading me away but I jerked it away.

I shook my head and looked towards the fallen bodies, "If you want them to start liking you, you have to stop with the whole blasting thing. Fighting fire with fire isn't going to work, Noah. I am going to stay here until they wake up. Are you going to stay with me?"

He looked to the fallen bodies and then at me. He seemed conflicted but I took his hand in mine and he smiled. "What ever we do we do it together. I'm willing to listen if they are. I'm sorry I shot at your brother, I was worried they would shoot you next."

"I understand but you are going to have to say sorry to them not me," I said. The thought of remembering my mom saying that all the time made me smile. Something poked me in the side and looking down I see Pepper. He held the branch that Noah had blasted off in his mouth.

"What about Ethan?"

"What about him?"

"I guess he's flirting technique doesn't work. I guess he never heard of girls and food," He laughed which caused me to laugh also.

I started to the tree sitting across from the unconscious bodies, "Oh. I didn't realize we were going to talk about that."

"We don't have to." He sat down while Pepper sat in between us. "Are you tired?"

"No." I stared out into space before looking at me. "What about you? I haven't seen you sleep yet."

He waved me off, "I'm good."

"I have a question. I hope it's alright to ask," I turned to face him. He expression was hard to read in the dark but I decided to proceed. "What do I call you guys? Like we're called humans but I feel like the word Alien or them is too hostile."

Noah chuckled, "After all that has happen you are wondering what to call my kind? You're funny."

"I don't know. Doesn't it brother you? Everyone seeing your kind and automatically see you as a bad guy. The aliens that destroyed the Earth."

"My people did something that only they can fix. Only if they can just see their mistake." The conversation died down as we leaned against the tree and listened to the sound of the creatures of the night.