Chapter 4

Ashley

     My hand went in front of my older brother, "Stay behind me, Jacob."

     "I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be the other way around," He said jokingly but this was not the time to be joking.

     I stared at the guillotine waiting for the soldier to say 'lay down'. I watched as the soldier started talking to the executioner. I only hear every few words but the words that kept popping up were; death, execution, boy, girl, we're ready to start. Then the soldier turned to us and told us to say our last words and pick who is dying first. 

    Immediately I turned to Jacob and started confessing on how sorry I was and how I missed him. After a few seconds of me talking Jacob started to tear up and them came in and gave me a big hug that almost choked me to death. Which would have been better than the real execution. All of the sudden Jacob started talking into my ear he said as quietly and quickly as he could.

     "I don't plan on dying today, and I don't think you want to either. So last night after you were asleep I came up with a plan to try to get away but you need to buy me some time, okay?"

    Hallelujah! Can I get a Amen too? I looked into his eyes and softly nodded, "I love you." A tear fell from my eye and I swapped it away before turning towards the crowd. "Grenade! Someone threw a Grenade!"  I screamed as loud as I could. People shrieked and ran for cover. Soldiers tried to calm the people while other searched for the lie. Jacob grabbed my hand and we made a dash for it. 

     We pushed through the panic people while screams filled the air. We ran to the forest not stopping but I couldn't handle it. "Where are we going?!"

     "This way!" Jacob answered, not looking back at me. He stopped at a funky looking tree and he reached up pulling on a twig branch. The middle part slid open and we stepped inside. It slammed shut only to reveal steps leading down. I ran down the steps and sucked in a breath. It was huge and a secret lair like how cool is that?! I touched the walls and gaped at everything. A hand covered my mouth before knocking me out. 

     Jacob voice was the last I heard before falling through darkness yet again, "No! She's good guys!"