Chapter 2: New Faces, New Secrets

2 months later...
Rosalyn's POV

"You really don't know who you are, do you? Didn't your parents tell you what you are? How pathetic..." A loud, manly voice echoed throughout the dark room that I had been kept in.

"I... I don't know what you are talking about..." Beads of sweat formed on my forehead as my hands turned numb with the terror that surrounded me.

"Yes, you do!" He yelled as a shiver ran down my spine, chilling every bit of courage that was left in me. "Now tell me, what do you do to turn it on?"

"I... I can't..."

"You can and you will tell me!" He grunted as a pair of glowing red eyes appeared before me.

"I... I don't know. Trust me!"

"Well then." A rough, cold hand gripped my chin, digging sharp fingernails into my delicate skin.

"Please... let me... go..."

"Not unless you tell me..." Warm blood oozed out of the point where his nails penetrated into my skin.

"I don't know!" I let it all out as an agonizing scream, praying that someone would come to my rescue, but no one did...

"I have had enough. It's time for you to die!" Suddenly, I felt a sharp, piercing sensation near my stomach. Blood bubbled through my lips. My heart pounded against my chest. My vision throbbed red. I was paralyzed. Time seemed to stop as I felt the life drain out of me, with each passing second, until I could feel no more...

_____________

"No!" I screamed myself awake, my body sleek with sweat, my mind filled with horror.

Just another nightmare.

I got down from the bed and made my way over to the washroom. It has been two months since I saw my parents, two months since I felt their presence. There has been nothing but coldness and nightmares during these months. I miss them like crazy. Kristen's uncle took the responsibility of looking after me. I have moved in with them, feeling terrible at the way I have been behaving with her for all these years. It is today that senior year begins, and I have no clue how to make it through.

Wearing the outfit I had worn on the last day of junior year, I styled my hair into a simple, high ponytail, I wore my rose quartz ring that mom had gifted me on my eleventh birthday. Scanning my reflection in the mirror, I noticed the dark circles under my puffy, jade green eyes, that even makeup couldn't hide.

"Rose, are you ready?" Kristen came in adjusting the watch on her hand, already dressed for school.

"Yeah. I am," I replied, straightening myself, trying to put up a brave face even if in reality, I was broken.

"Good. Now, I wanted you to know this. No matter what people say today, you won't pay any heed to them. I have seen you for the last two months and I know how much you've changed. You are not what you used to be before, and that is what stands out. Got it?" She asked me, placing her hands firmly on my shoulders and gave me a light shake. I took a deep breath and nodded. "Thank you Rose, and remember, uncle Jon and I will be always be there for you," she removed her hands from my shoulders.

"I know. Thank you so much Kristen!" I said, holding her hands in gratitude.

"You're welcome. So... I guess we should get going now?"

I nodded as we headed downstairs, where her uncle was having his breakfast. "Bye uncle," Kristen grabbed the car keys from the dining table.

"Goodbye dear," he waved at us as we did the same. Getting into the car, we drove off.