Chapter 17: Obsession

Rosalyn's POV

"Why do you want to know who my dad was enemies with?" Sydney asked as professor Whittemore, Vincent and I tried to get our answers from her.

"We think that your dad's death... might have been a bit more than just any other armed robbery."

"Why? What do you mean?"

"It might sound insane but... we think a Wendigo killed your dad."

"... Are you out of your mind? I found his body, and I'm sure that there wasn't any cannibalistic creature hovering over him then. What's wrong with you? You're insane!"

"Sydney, we know it sounds crazy and unrealistic as hell, but please, trust us on this one. We have faced a situation like this before, and we can face it now as well. All we need is a little help from you. Don't you want to know who... or what killed your father?" Professor Whittemore chose his words carefully.

"... You're so out of your mind. I'm out of this," she left for the door.

"Do you know why Melanie isn't in school?" Vincent's words stopped her in her tracks. She turned back hesitantly.

"... Why?"

"Because she was a Gorgon."

"And here we go again with the senseless talk."

"Do you know what happened to the mathematics professor, or the janitor?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

"They were turned into stone figurines, by the Gorgon. We had to break into the school to dig out information about her, a valid proof."

"He means this," I flashed my phone before her with a video playing on it- the one where Melanie attacked the janitor in the girl's closet. Sydney's eyes went wide at the horrifying sight. Her body trembled with an agonizing fear.

"This... This can't be."

"It is the truth, Sydney. Vampires, witches, werewolves and God knows what's out there- they're all true."

"And we think one of them got to your father."

"No way," she leaned against a nearby table to keep her from falling.

"I know how it sounds, Sydney. You won't believe it but this is exactly how it was for me when I came to know that my parents became a prey to the supernatural."

"... And you believed it?"

Taking in a deep breath, I sighed, "Not initially, no, but when I say it they're not at bad, I mean it. I'm... a witch, Sydney."

"What? But you don't seem... evil."

"That's because not all of us are bad. Some are just like you- humans. So tell me Sydney, do you want to know who killed your dad, or do you want to live in the shadows?"

Sydney weighed her options for a while, before responding, "Fine. I'll help you with whatever you want to know, but I need answers as well. I need to know who killed my dad."

"We promise we'll find the killer."

She nodded. "... What do you need to know?"

"Did your dad have any enemies? Personal, professional, anyone?"

"My dad was quite friendly with everyone around him. I don't remember him having any enemies... except for one."

"Who?"