Chapter 21: Thorngate

Rosalyn's POV

"Here," Kristen inserted the USB cord into her laptop, transferring the image of a map into the system. My friends and I gathered to have a look at it, "This is the map of the Thorngate Mental Institution."

"How'd you even get this?"

"Thorngate is one of the top suicidal hotspots in the entire state, and naturally, on the police radar at all times. I snooped into my uncle's study and snapped a shot. Anyways, look at this." She pointed at the entrance to the Institution on the screen, "That's where we're going to enter from. Visiting hours are from 8 to 8.30 p.m. every day. Since we're too many in number, only two of us can get in at the first try."

"Vincent and I will do it," I said.

"Wait, how do you get to make all the decisions?" Damien opposed.

"We can't allow Professor Whittemore and Kristen to go in with their crossbows, and you still need to work on your anger issues. It would be better if you use that anger in knocking out a few officers that may be a resistance on the outside. On the other hand, Vincent is calm and collected, and I'm a Valerian Witch. We need to balance the weight on both ends."

"... Fine, miss Control Freak." He rolled his eyes.

"So Vincent and Rose will go in there and hide in the supply closet nearby such that you can keep a watch on the staff at that particular shift. Once the visiting hours are over, you have to let the three of us in through the main entrance and then we find the room number which Sydney is assigned to."

"And then we find Sydney and tell her everything, right?"

"It won't be that easy," Kristen shook her head. "Thorngate has five floors, with ten patient rooms, two staff quarters and one washroom each. The mild and harmless patients are assigned a room in one of the four floors. The fifth floor is assigned for the most violent and dangerous patients. Every room on that floor is warded off by a high frequency, electrical, ultrasonic sound emitter..."

"... Which will keep off supernatural creatures and weaken them."

"Exactly. Thorngate knows more than we think it does."

"So we have to disrupt the power system of the entire building."

"That won't be too difficult. However, Thorngate has a 24/7 power backup, which is sufficient to keep the emitter running for hours, even days."

"Then first, we cut off the electric supply to the emitters, both main and backup?"

"That's the idea."

"But my powers won't be affected by the ultrasonic waves," I said.

"That's where your weakness comes in. Officers who patrol the building often notice black dust forming on the fifth floor by itself."

"Ivline."

Kristen nodded. "Once we get to the fifth floor, we need to work as fast as we can to reach Sydney's room, otherwise the ultrasonic sound and the Ivline will make her more vulnerable and violent."

"And she might trigger her Wendigo side."

"And that sure as hell will be out of our control."

"So now, there's only one way round this- Free Sydney or encounter her wraith."

______________

That night...
8 p.m.