Chapter 60: The Last Night

Author's Note: This chapter will contain sexual themes and mature content. Readers' discretion is advised.

______________

Rosalyn's POV

"Why are we here?" I said to Vincent as we walked on the ground, which was once his home.

"I needed to show you this." He pointed to the cottage that we were standing in front of. "Come in."

I followed him inside. The only source of light in the cottage was his flashlight. He soon turned on the light and the cottage lit up a dim yellow glow. It was an average home built of wood with two rooms. There was a fireplace and a few chairs in one of the rooms and a bed on the other. "Did you build this?"

"I did. This was where Amelia and I were supposed to live."

"You mean your fiancee?"

He nodded. "The day before I was turned, she told me that she was carrying my child. I was going to be... a father."

My heart dropped as he said those words. "Oh my God... I'm so sorry Vincent..."

"You shouldn't be." He started pacing around the room. "I had been living inside a shell for all these years because I didn't believe that I could love anyone so much as I loved her ever again in my life. She was so special to me. I loved her so much, and I can never forget her." I noticed the tears forming in his eyes as he mentioned her to me.

"You shouldn't forget her. She was your first love, and I understand how important she was to you."

"I feel awful even thinking about her, about the way how I killed her, how I killed our baby in her womb. All of this is my fault." He fell to his knees, breaking into tears.

"Hey, hey. It wasn't your fault that she died."

"She would hate me so much."

"If she did love you truly, she would always wish for your happiness, with or without her."

He looked at me with his teary eyes, before getting back on his feet. "You know, according to Valerian tradition, the two people who are about to be married, are supposed to give each other a wedding locket, filled with their blood. It is a symbol of their everlasting love, and that they are bound to each other in blood and in soul. I was supposed to give her this on our wedding." He took out a locket from his pocket, filled with a red swirling liquid.

"Is that your...?"

"My blood." He placed it in my hand.

"Vincent I--"

"I never thought I would be able to love again in my life. I had lost faith over myself, over everyone around me. I feared that if I started developing feelings for someone, they would receive the same fate as Amelia did. But you came into my dark life as a ray of hope, as a ray of sunshine, that I never want to let go of. It is you who taught me to love again. In the past thousand years, I have been dead inside, but it was being with you that made me feel the most alive ...and if these are the last moments that I get to spend with you, I want to tell you one thing." He got down on one knee.

"Vincent..."

"I love you Rose, with all that I have, and with everything that I don't. I can't think of a life without you. I love you so much!"

I became speechless for a few seconds before blurting out. "I love you too, Vincent!"

He got back up, a sparkle in his eyes, a playful smile playing on his lips. I tilted my head, capturing his lips in a tentative kiss. Our tongues entwined as we deepened the kiss. I was about to pull back when his arms went behind my waist, pulling me close, pressing me to him. I didn't resist. I couldn't. The heat between us overwhelmed me as his touch sent a buzzing sensation down my toes.