Chapter 9: The Other Side

Rosalyn's POV

After getting back home, I found Amber sitting on the couch in the living room, a medical book in her hand. On spotting me, she took off her reading glasses and placed them on the table next to her. "So, how was the party? I thought you would've arrived later--"

"I... I didn't want to be at that stupid party anymore," I bit my lip, avoiding eye contact.

"You know you can tell me everything, right?" She placed her hands on my shoulders giving them a slight squeeze. I nodded as a lump rose in my throat. Warm tears trickled down my cheek before I sniffed silently. "Rose..." She embraced me in a hug, rubbing my back in turn, "Tell me everything."

Breaking the hug, my eyes met her crystal blue orbs. "I... I feel terrible. Everyone thinks that I have an ulterior motive behind all the things I do. I try to be nice, but there's always something... or someone holding me back... I hate myself," I whimpered, my body shaking with the sobs.

"You aren't a burden, Rose. You're the bravest niece I could've ever wished for. If your parents had been here, they would've been so proud of you!"

"Would they? I have no idea of how I should be using my powers, let alone defeat some vampire king! I... I just wish I could see mom and dad right now. I miss them so much! They're dead because of me!" My voice cracked.

"... I might be able to help you with that."

"What? How?" I asked, astonished at her words as a ray of hoped peaked from within the clouds in the horizon.

"I know a spell that can transfer a mortal to the Other Side, but only for a few minutes so long as I can bend the rules and harness power from your magical core."

"I will do anything to meet them, even if it's for the slightest second."

"Fine... but you have to help me with this," The both of us walked into the bathroom and filled two large containers with water for the ritual before carrying them into the secret room. Pouring the water into the large white tub, I gazed at the glistening liquid that I would be immersed in a few minutes. "To contact Sapphire, I need something that tied you with her. Do you have anything matching the description?" Amber said.

"Will this work?" I flashed my rose quartz ring.

"Definitely. Remember to put it on after the spell." I nodded, handing her over my ring. "I need a drop of your blood. Take this and make a small cut on your finger," she passed me a pointed wooden object with intricate wooden designs carved onto it, quite sharper than a wooden stake.

"What's this?"

"A marlinspike. In rituals to come into contact with the witches of the Other Side, it is essential to use it."

I nodded in understanding and grabbed the marlinspike in my hand and pointed it at the index finger of my palm before pressing it against my skin. A sharp, piercing pain tried overwhelming me, but my stubborness held my back. A drop of crimson blood appeared on the tip of my finger before I returned the marlinspike to Amber.

"Place a drop of your blood onto the ring." She held out my ring in her hands. I squeezed my finger slightly, letting a drop of blood fall onto the rose quartz gemstone encrusted on my ring. As soon as the blood touched the gem, it emitted a soft golden glow. "Now lay down in the tub," I followed her orders, "think of your parents, their appearance, the happy moments you spent together, anything that reminds you of them."

I closed my eyes, letting the water soak my dress. The memories seemed fresh as if they were right before me, the happy moments we spent together, the way we danced during the French Quarter Festival on my 15th birthday, the view of the Eiffel Tower on their anniversary. Every small detail.