Chapter 13: The Hunt

Rosalyn's POV

"A Gorgon? You mean Medusa?" Kristen asked with her, Vincent and I gathered around one of the counters in the chemistry laboratory.

"She's the most famous one, and yeah, that's my best guess," I shrugged.

"Well, do we know who it is?" Vincent said.

"Not yet..."

"Then how are we supposed to stop her?"

"We'll have to know who it is, and if my hunch is right, we already do..."

Just then, the door to the lab opened and a worried and huffing Damien entered the room, "I think I know who the Gorgon is..."

_____________

Some minutes earlier...

Damien's POV

"So class, today we are going to study in detail, about the reptilian body, specially that of a snake's," professor Russell said motioning towards a glossy, black snake lying still on a rock inside a glass container, "I would've held it in my hands if it weren't so venomous and I would like it if you people follow my rules as well."

"What's there to be afraid of?" Melanie asked.

"I've already answered your question, miss Hawthorne. It's venomous," she replied calmly.

"Not if it faces the necessity of exercising its powers," Melanie stepped towards the glass container and slowly removed its lid.

"Excuse me, miss Hawthorne!" The teacher yelled sharply.

"Snakes are innocent beings. They won't bite unless you try to hurt them or invade their territory," she held the dark snake in both of her arms, caressing it lightly on its black, leathery skin, "they won't bite unless they're convinced you're a plausible danger," she lifted her right arm allowing the snake access to her shoulder and onto her head. The snake followed as she had planned, crawling up her hand and settling on her blond hair. "Look, it didn't attack!" She smiled as the rest of the class looked at her in awe.

This isn't normal. No one can do this.

For a split second, she locked eyes with me, as I caught a glimpse of yellow in her forest green orbs, much like that of the creature that had seated itself on her head. A knot formed in my stomach, as I knew who... or rather, what she was.

A Gorgon.

______________

Present time...

Rosalyn's POV

"Are you sure it'7s Melanie?" Vincent said.

"Seventy-five percent at the least, and that's a lot coming from me."

"But she doesn't look threatening to me..." He sighed.

"There are many things and people in this world who don't look as dangerous as they really are."

"That's true... but we can't be sure unless we have some concrete evidence," Kristen rested her head on her arms.

"Then I say we find our evidence," I said, determination sparking in my voice.

"What're you suggesting?"

"The stone figures have been appearing only at school, but not anywhere outside its gates, which would mean that the Gorgon is bound to this place. It can't escape."