Chapter 36: Betrayal

This chapter will contain sexual themes and violence. Reader's discretion is advised.

_______________

Rosalyn's POV

I was frozen in shock as Stella's shriveled form lay in front of me.

"St-- Stella? I stammered.

She looked up with her dark brown orbs, through those swollen eyes, tired from crying. Her skin was paler than usual. Her hair was a mess of amber red knots and her clothes were tattered.

"Rose? You... came to rescue me!" She said as her thin frame embraced me into a tight hug.

"Stella, what ha--"

"Ugh," she groaned while looking at her arm as did I. The spot where the last rays of the sun hit her left arm had charred to form a brownish-black scar. Horrified at the sight, she rushed back inside.

"Rose, this place is so dark. I can't go outside. I can't feel the sun. It burns me! I've got this pain in my head as if it's going to explode. My jaw hurts, and I have this... unexplainable thirst for blood!" She said in one breath.

"Stella, I'm gonna to help you out. Just stay here, alright? I'll be back in a sec," I said. She nodded before I shut the door and sprinted to the kitchen.

Grabbing a knife and a bowl from the kitchen counter, I held the knife in my hands and slashed it across the my left palm as the crimson fluid flowed down. I balled by fist, letting the blood fill the bowl. It pained, but it was worth it. I had to do this for Stella, for Ms. Davenport.

Finally, after much blood had filled the bowl, I performed a healing spell on my hand. I recalled how the sun  burned Stella's skin. I retrieved the rose quartz ring that Amber had given me. When I was skimming through the pages of the ancestral grimoires one day, I came across the daylight-ring making spell.

I placed the ring on the counter and started chanting, "Potentia ex antiquis dominis vestris potentia ex antiquis feminarum, dare mihi facultatem ad arma facit ultimum Helios ego auxiliatus sum egens quidam calumniator, ut haeream in hoc cultu enituit."

I continued chanting until a faint yellow light emitted out of the ring. On touching ,it and a tingle of heat jolted up my finger. Realizing the success of the spell, I grabbed the bowl and the ring and rushed back to the room.

"Here, dri--" but before I could even complete my sentence, Stella snatched the bowl away from my grasp and drank the blood. It looked terrible.

After she was done, she licked the thin layer of blood from her lips as I saw the sharp ends of her fangs. Her body seemed to regenerate, even for the tiniest bit. She looked satisfied.

"Wear this," I said, handing her over the ring.

"What's this?" She swirled it in hand.

"It will protect you against the sunlight," I assured her. She slid the ring on her finger. "Come with me," I said, holding her trembling hands and walked her outside. She resisted but slowly relaxed thereafter. I made her stand in front of the window with her back facing the sun's rays.

"Does it sting?" I asked.

"... No. It doesn't," she said in a surprised tone, "th-- thank you so much Rose! You saved me!" She clasped my hand with her cold ones.

"Thank me later. Tell me who did this to you?"

She gulped before starting, "It was the night of my birthday. Everything seemed perfect, until...